1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help before the trip to garage

martin1984 Oct 13, 2018 at 4:19 PM

1. martin1984

martin1984 Well-Known Member Team Silver TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Hi all so cars been good for a few months the this afternoon i have a squealing sound when turning wheels.
    Have had a freind turn wheel whilst i listen for where sound is or if anything is loose
    But cant really tell much however when turning wheel whist reving no sounds at all.
    Any idea help thanks chaps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member Team Avus Silver saloon Audi A4 quattro Manual

Slipping auxiliary belt more than likely, do you have an undertray fitted, could be slipping due to all the surface water around with this weather, it can splash up and soak the pulleys.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

martin1984 likes this.
  4. martin1984

Hi yea have full under tray also on a side note my badges have gone off the engine cover ehat the chances there stuck in the engin tray somewhere

5. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

Could also be the power steering pump, they whine like mad when they go bad

martin1984 likes this.
  6. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

If its only turning the wheel that makes the sound could be the lower arm.

When the passenger side arm went on mine it sounded shocking, changed the arm and now the drivers sode is making the same sound and the arm is shot.

martin1984 likes this.
  7. martin1984

So took car to garage they said prob belt and pulley like you said so booked if on friday when there free to do it but today been out in car and nothing not a single sound from the car any ideas ?

8. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

Weather dependent !!!!!

9. martin1984

So would you have it changed or just leave it now theres no noise?

10. i3oricua

i3oricua Active Member Team Brill Red Audi A4 Saloon

Sounds like the serpentine belt is the likely culprit or the power steering pump or both. Typically it's the serpentine belt which can be changed in less than 5 minutes. You just need a 17 mm box end wrench....literally, it's the only tool you need. And the new belt obviously.

Reference the video but he's doing it the long, hard way. You need a 17 mm box end wrench (an 18 will do fine as well but believe me when I say it's a 17mm) and you can do everything from the top. Just make sure you run the belt the right way.

It's probably more common when it rains and dries up outside because you're getting the belt wet but the weather does not have that much effect on it. Belts get old, stretch, and dry after a while.

11. martin1984

Hi thanks for that been back to garage they said the belt look in perfect condition no slack or play so are unsure why it was making a noise then suddleny stopped have said to keep a eye on and see how it goes seems to be my luck with this car i get all the special audi noises which cant be identified and then just disappears.
    Also had the belt and pulley replaced when i brought car for free by garage at 78k now on 99k so would it just be wear and tear or age?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 9:17 PM