help anyone? s3 smoking really bad and misfiring

lenny151

Reaction score
hi

as the title says my 2009 s3 is smoking really bad and misfiring with no power only popped out to fill the car up with fuel and on my way back home the car died and lost all power the epc light came on when I started the car back up along with the engine management light flashing, managed to drive it home but there was no power at at all the car sounds really deep almost like a v8 and smells like burnt oil.

any help will be much appreciated

thanks louis

Coil packs and whip out the sparks. Sounds like the ecu has dropped a cylinder if the lights are on. Check the above then reset the fault code and see...
Had to edit and check you didn't put diesel in.. ;) easy mistake that has been done on here numerous times...

thanks for reply mate have got a spare set of coils for it so will check them tomorrow hopefully its a simple fix :)

Unfortunately mate it sounds like the cars already in 'limp' mode so putting new coils on won't work unless the fault code is reset at the same time. Sure it's related between the Sparks and coils. When's the last time the Sparks were changed. Tfsi's are terrible with carbon.. Oil consumption ok....?

plugs were replaced 4k miles ago oil had been changed recently

Hopefully a coil then mate. If your engine management is flashing and epc light is illuminated it's certainly to do with ignition! The ecu shuts down that particular cylinder if there's a problem. Iv experienced it a few times.. With my tfsi! I'd say it sounds more like a tractor though when it happens than a V8

hopefully it is that thanks for the help will let you know how it goes

Hopefully a coil then mate. If your engine management is flashing and epc light is illuminated it's certainly to do with ignition! The ecu shuts down that particular cylinder if there's a problem. Iv experienced it a few times.. With my tfsi! I'd say it sounds more like a tractor though when it happens than a V8

found it was an injector mate

Ouch, not cheap then, tfsi engines are not the best designed!

ano just happy that the problem was found will be replacing all 4 along with cam belt and water pump while its off the road

Ouch, not cheap then, tfsi engines are not the best designed!

An injector isn't that expensive, on a 5-10 year old car, these things happen (get clogged). I'd change your fuel filter if its not been done recently.

IMO the TFSI isn't perfect, but when you can get reliable 200kw atw from a 2.0 displacement, I think thats pretty impressive.
My last car was a 1.8T Polo, another great engine IMO. Lots of happy Golf R owners with the same hardware.

The TFSi like any engine has its good and bad points.

Injector failures though are rare and as noone says,they are not expensive to replace.

Considering that you can get not just a reliable 200kw(260bhp) at the wheel but twice that with everyday reliability the engine delivers very well indeed.

This is the first problem that I've had with the car since I have had it so not really bothered about it just bothered that its off the road for a couple of days and just jumping from my s3 which is stage 2+ to a transit van until its fixed

<Edit>

I was thinking of a VW transporter which is pretty good for a van if you get the TDI.

hi

as the title says my 2009 s3 is smoking really bad and misfiring with no power only popped out to fill the car up with fuel and on my way back home the car died and lost all power the epc light came on when I started the car back up along with the engine management light flashing, managed to drive it home but there was no power at at all the car sounds really deep almost like a v8 and smells like burnt oil.

any help will be much appreciated

thanks louis

Out of interest where did you refuel and what petrol did you fill up with? 95 or 99 RON?

Hi mate I filled up with 99 momentum as I always use

It's a transit St van really nice van but turned lazy since I got my s3 and don't like driving manual