Help and info needed!

Customboy

Reaction score
Hi there all just wanted to post this thread to get some help ok sit down boys and girls and let me tell u my story lol, ok got my Audi a3 turbo with loads of decent mods done and lined up, I'm getting my forge front mounted intercooler fitted sooni bought it from eBay for a bargain price but it didn't come with any intercooler pipes, so my great mechanics dan, has measured up and we got this done

Here's the intercooler

51c219c9.jpg

Here's it's being mocked up for my car

photo18.jpg

Pipes being measured

photo12.jpg

Right so after all this got some measurements done and got these pipes ordered for the intercooler

1287fff0.jpg

The large long pipe at the top will be cut and used to join up the pipes

The problem I have is I have to flare the pipe ends so the silicon pipes have a firm edge to grip and I Was wondering is there anyone based in south east London who could do this for me ? Or is there some tool I can buy that isn't to expensive that I can use to do it myself the pipe is stainless steel and has a diameter of 51mm

Any help would be fantastic and thanks for reading

Customboy

And how are you planning to run the hotside of the intercooler?

You got me lost now mate, sorry to sound dumb but what do u mean hot side?

You got me lost now mate, sorry to sound dumb but what do u mean hot side?

Hot side of the intercooler is the turbo to IC pipe, cold side is post intercooler.

This big pipe running from the turbo (back of the engine) to the passengers side then over the top of the gearbox is the hotside of every set I have ever seen. (the picture is of my car)

305365_10150461621280130_709735129_11076753_2068986672_n.jpg

There isn't going to be space, and there will be a terrible routing if there is, for you to run the hot and coldside of the IC from the one side of it.

Also without sounding harsh, apart from looks there is no point in the FMIC until you get a K03s. It will just create more lag which is not going to help, you won't get a single BHP of useable power more out of it.

Std K03 hotside charge pipe runs in front of the engine by the crank pulley using the infamous pancake pipe...

That cooler is the same setup as Mk4 golfs and K03 Leons... hotside goes to the bottom, top goes to the inlet...

<tuffty/>

I like that setup, it looks sensible.

Nice take on removing the pancake pipe and using the twin pass core, should result in an efficient cooler that retains an entirely OEM look engine bay.

I like it very much. Nice one

...Also without sounding harsh, apart from looks there is no point in the FMIC until you get a K03s. It will just create more lag which is not going to help, you won't get a single BHP of useable power more out of it.

A K03 running on the edge of its efficiency can put out just as much heat as a K03s under the same conditions... you can hardly call a K03 laggy under any condition...

<tuffty/>

Many thanks for the info guys, tuffy the pics are fantastic and is the exact setup I have got, 16klappe I have got a ko3s turbo ready to go on just wanted to get the intercooler sorted first then also my decat pipe then turbo the back up to rtech for custom remap mate

Not sure how you'd go about flaring it mate, being stainless it'll be much touched than alloy
Too.

Piley options I've seen before (but not tried) are benson the edges out with an adjustable spammer, or popping 4 rivets I'm the end of te pipe to form a raised lump to stop a clamp slipping off.

Aside
From that, the other option is to buy pre made lengths with ready swaged ends. I bought all my pipes from mr silicOne on eBay, and was able to get all the lengths spot on, so dIdnt need to cut
Off any swaging.

If its stainless, just weld a few blobs around to create a bead? Say one at 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock etc. Done this with a little piece I had to put in to join a pipe, and it worked fine. Just make sure the welds aren't too sharp so they rip the silicone.

A K03 running on the edge of its efficiency can put out just as much heat as a K03s under the same conditions... you can hardly call a K03 laggy under any condition...

<tuffty/>

My thoughts were that the twin pass intercooler having the hotside entering directly below the coldside would mean heat soak from the outlet and inlet side of the tank, where as a single pass would be warmer on the hot side and colder on the other. Prawn assures me I'm wrong but I'm confused as to how a twinpass intercooler can be as efficient as a single pass with better routing and flow. But if Prawn says it is, then it is.

Me saying it wouldn't be very good and would be a struggle to fit go out the window a bit when the pancake pipe is removed though, I thought the Forge twin pass kits didn't remove the pancake pipe...Which is why the likes of the THS kits were much better?

THS Intercooler For VW Golf Mk4 GTI 1.8T

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys will keep u updated first intercooler fitting then decat fitting then turbo fitting the remap then who knows lol