Help & advice needed urgently for my S3 please

Adam P

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have not had my s3 that long and late last night i decided to test out the four - wheel drive launch from a stand still at some lights. Nothing too agressive just a quick pull away on boost. The car launched well and as it should until i changed into second and as soon as the turbo went to kick in i got a nasty vibration sound from underneath the car, i would say lower mid engine which can be felt through the wheel and the dash when the turbo spools up....... The car now makes this noise through all gears when the turbo spools up? does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I dont want to damage anything!!

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Does the car drive ok other than for the vibration? whats the spec? what mods? remap?

<tuffty/>

Does the car drive ok other than for the vibration? whats the spec? what mods? remap?

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply! The car is 2001 S3 standard apart from visual mods.
The car does drive fine apart from the horrible noise when the turbo kicks in, could it be a hose or pipe thats come off under pressure?

Boost leak would be noticable performance wise... if he car is still performing and driving ok then I don't think its a pipe blown off... the engine would normally stall if a boost pipe was off and tbh on std power theres not really enough boost to do that...

I would get the car scanned for faults as a start tbh as it may give a clue as to whats going on if something happened to upset the ECU...

Does the vibration only happen when you are planting the throttle? or can you drive around on part throttle without the noise being present? do you get juddering at all under acceleration? does the CEL (check engine light) come on when the noise happens?

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the advice tuffty. Hopefully its nothing major, no warning lights shown on the dash atall. The only issue i can think of is the car did make a clunking noise when pulling away quickly, dont know if this helps? One of my friends seems to think it could be a lower engine mount?

Its plausible... launching will put extra strain on the mounts and it could have damaged one enough to cause vibrations under load

<tuffty/>

Its plausible... launching will put extra strain on the mounts and it could have damaged one enough to cause vibrations under load

<tuffty/>

Think im just going to drop it into my local garage at lunch and see what they think the problem is..............
Will update thread and let you know. Thanks for your posts.

Cheers
Adam

If a mounts gone then it's a good excuse to uprate it to a power flex one!

Well the good news is the s3 is back and working perfectly! according to the garage the props haft bolt had sheered so a simple drill out and replace and the car is good as new :) time for a full service and a revo stage 1 map i think!