HELP!! ABS/ESP, PARKING BRAKE FAULT AND HEADLIGHT RANGE CONTROL DEFECTIVE!!

chrisy t

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title reads I seem to have a big problem, I hope to god its not the ABS module! To start, my Audi a4 2.0tdi 143 B8 has been sat for the last 5 days and the day before yesterday I just started the engine to turn it over and everything was fine. However tonight I went to take it out for a run and as soon as I started it up, there were errors flashing on the dash, the first error was ESP/ABS Fault, the second error was 'Parking brake malfunction' the third error is 'headlight range control defective'. I don't understand why I am getting these faults all of a sudden as the car has been sat for 5 days and hasn't even moved. I did a scan with VAG-COM and threw up the following errors below:

Address 01: Engine (J623-CAGA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CAG.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 022 JM HW: 03L 906 022 B
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H01 3173
Revision: 11H01---
Coding: 0104002C18072018
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI03L906022JM A01005
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI03L906022JM.rod
VCID: 79F2681249B1
1 Fault Found:
4987 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13): Electrical Fault
P0674 00 [109] - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 94182 km
Date: 2013.10.20
Time: 15:25:52
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 8K0-907-379.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 379 AA HW: 8K0 907 379 AA
Component: ESP8 front H04 0060
Revision: -------- Serial number: --------------
Coding: 160500
VCID: 78F46D1672BB
2 Faults Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101100
Reset counter: 251
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.10.24
Time: 17:16:38
Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x0000
Hex Value: 0x0220
Hex Value: 0x0039
Hex Value: 0xC095
Hex Value: 0x00FF
00473 - Control Module for Elect. Park/Hand Brake (J540)
013 - Check DTC Memory
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101101
Fault Priority: 6
Time: 17:17:21
Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x43A2
Hex Value: 0x0013
Hex Value: 0x0295
Hex Value: 0x00FF

Address 16: Steering wheel (J527) Labels: 8K0-953-568.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 953 568 F HW: 8K0 953 568 F
Component: Lenks.Modul H13 0013
Revision: -------- Serial number: 90315HHE000FV
Coding: 000012
VCID: 3D7ABC021D19
Component: E221 - MFL H02 0003
1 Fault Found:
01316 - ABS Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101101
Fault Frequency: 5
Time: 17:17:15

Address 53: Parking Brake (J540) Labels: 8K0-907-801.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 801 E HW: 8K0 907 801 E
Component: EPB Audi B8 H05 0060
Revision: 00000003 Serial number: 00000000199171
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 31629032D141
1 Fault Found:
013 - Check DTC Memory - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101101
Fault Priority: 4
Reset counter: 250
Time: 17:17:21
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.20 V
Count: 62
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Hex Value: 0x0263
Hex Value: 0x0001
Hex Value: 0x1010

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 8K0-907-357.clb
Part No: 8K0 907 357 B
Component: Dynamische LWR H01 0030
Revision: 00000001 Serial number:
Coding: 0000004
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
VCID: 346C99262E53
1 Fault Found:
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101101
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 36
Time: 17:17:27

I have tried clearing all codes 3 times but every single one returns straight away! Does it sound like it could be an ABS module fault? Has anybody else ever had this problem before? As I say I don't know why I have these faults when the car hasn't even moved!
I would be very grateful for any advice on this, I'm pulling my hair out!

Cheers

Chris

looks like its all hanging off a duff abs sensor.

I hope it is just a faulty sensor, it seems strange that all of a sudden its faulty when the car hasn't even moved?

Did you get this fixed in the end as I have the same 3 errors and it's driving me nuts.

Hello people new to this and Audi.

I have the same problem as above and wondering if you guys can update what was the problem and how you fixed it.

You have abs speed sensor rear right fault up there my guess is that's putting your lights on

Just had exact thing on my 1 series, traction control, abs, and tyre pressure lights on, found and replaced faulty reluctor ring on the back and been fine since

The abs is tied into lots of things on the car so If it can't get s signal from one of the wheels then it's gona throw up a fault, lights etc

Sorry just realised this was an old post but if you have same symptoms then my answer would be the same

Reactions: Ajwhite
Check battery condition first.In the OP the car had been sat for 5 days,enough for a tired battery to go low on charge.
often when the battery is low on these cars they throw all sorts of errors

Reactions: Roadrunner146, Zafi and Chop.
I had all those when I changed tyres and briefly had different tyres front to rear! Sent the car mental.

Done anything like that recently?

If not I would say a wheel speed sensor is faulty!

Very loosely associated with this thread, I've just had my first "Underinflated Tyre - check tyre pressures" or something like that on my S4, gives you a shock, though so would having a tyre deflate quickly - in my case it was "nothing" - tyre pressure all okay if maybe slightly higher than when set due to higher ambient temperature! Had the same thing with my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI - when that happened I quickly left the motorway and parked up were/when safe and checked all four tyres, all looked okay, reset TPMS and completed that journey - tyre pressures were, again all okay.

Edit:- one good thing to come out of this is that I now know that my enabling TPMS on my S4 seems to have worked okay!

Reactions: All-rod
I had the same problem with my audi a4 2010..the fix is simple...
The problem is a mistake made by audi...near the cimputer box which is under the right wiper there is a drain for rain water or water from carwash...apparently the drain is so near the computer box to the point that when there is too much water like during heavy rains or if the drain is partially blocked by accumulatio of grass or dirty then WATER WILL DEFINATELY ENTER THE COMPUTER BOX.the problem is that water can easily get in..but not easily out..so it will accumulate..this causes short circuit in two relays labbelled 643 in there...and these relays are apparently responsible for esp..parking brake and gearbox transmission...so the intermittent problems with be parking brake failure light.sometimes the rear camera engages while driving because the car thinks u are reversing...and the headlight control range malfunction...and when the problem is prolonged the wires which are connected to these relays ..joined together by compression and insulated will corrode...then the ac fan will start even when the car is off and sometimes the xar will just stall when driving..which happened to me several times in highways at night..which is very dangerous...so fix is open the computer box ..it has got 3 torque screws...remove the mother board by releasing two locks on each side by fingera..then remove the fusebox by unscrewing the earth connection..by number 10 spanner..and from both locks..dry the box of water..remove the insulation where u see many wires connected together ..u will see corrosion
...cut them fresh and join them together again..then re insulate them..problem fixed..never waste ur time and money with vag diagnosis..they will just throw many errors in ur face and not telling you to look for water or corroded wires
.i hope this help someone from unscrupulous audi dealers who may end up replacing the computer mother board..cheees +267 72 99 64 89..text me if this turns useful

Reactions: JonoSnow
The problem is a mistake made by audi...near the cimputer box which is under the right wiper there is a drain for rain water or water from carwash...apparently the drain is so near the computer box to the point that when there is too much water like during heavy rains or if the drain is partially blocked by accumulatio of grass or dirty then WATER WILL DEFINATELY ENTER THE COMPUTER BOX.the problem is that water can easily get in..but not easily out..so it will accumulate..this causes short circuit in two relays labbelled 643 in there...and these relays are apparently responsible for esp..parking brake and gearbox transmission...so the intermittent problems with be parking brake failure light.sometimes the rear camera engages while driving because the car thinks u are reversing...and the headlight control range malfunction...and when the problem is prolonged the wires which are connected to these relays ..joined together by compression and insulated will corrode...then the ac fan will start even when the car is off and sometimes the xar will just stall when driving..which happened to me several times in highways at night..which is very dangerous...so fix is open the computer box ..it has got 3 torque screws...remove the mother board by releasing two locks on each side by fingera..then remove the fusebox by unscrewing the earth connection..by number 10 spanner..and from both locks..dry the box of water..remove the insulation where u see many wires connected together ..u will see corrosion
...cut them fresh and join them together again..then re insulate them..problem fixed..never waste ur time and money with vag diagnosis..they will just throw many errors in ur face and not telling you to look for water or corroded wires
.i hope this help someone from unscrupulous audi dealers who may end up replacing the computer mother board..cheees +267 72 99 64 89..text me if this turns useful

Good afternoon gents.
First time poster.

I want to extend a huge thanks to @Dr dre bw, after struggling and having many people look at the car. No one could give us a clear answer. This was the exact issue we had.

We resolved the issue ourselves without the need of spending more cash.

Opened up the computer box under the right wiper, took everything apart (Easier than you think), found roughly 500ml of water, some of the wires in the water basically crumbled away, cut them off, soldered everything back, cleaned everything, connected battery again and car was back to 100%, all issues resolved.

Thank you Dr dre bw.

Regards.

Reactions: All-rod
Any pictures of where this is? Can it be better water proofed in any way to prevent it from happening?

My A3 is doing something very similar with ABS and light range warnings. I had a look tonight, do you mean the box is right under the wipers, or the main electrical box alongside the battery?

HELP PLEASE. My Audi A6 2010 2.7D ‘Le Mans’ is doing exactly the same (handbreak malfunction, headlight range control, ABS fault lights all on, plus air con is playing up). Any help appreciate.

I suspect heavy rain has got to something but not sure where control box is located? Mobile mechanic has said it is under carpet under front passenger seat! Any help much appreciated. Thanks. Phil

Somebody will need to figure out where this box is and take some pics. He did say it was directly under the right windscreen wiper. Under the panel that's in front of the windscreen when you lift the bonnet up.

HELP PLEASE. My Audi A6 2010 2.7D ‘Le Mans’ is doing exactly the same (handbreak malfunction, headlight range control, ABS fault lights all on, plus air con is playing up). Any help appreciate.

I suspect heavy rain has got to something but not sure where control box is located? Mobile mechanic has said it is under carpet under front passenger seat! Any help much appreciated. Thanks. Phil

Early cars had the CCM in that area, it does sound like with experience of that mess up VW Group have moved it or some functions to another location.

My A3 is doing something very similar with ABS and light range warnings. I had a look tonight, do you mean the box is right under the wipers, or the main electrical box alongside the battery?
So I have been investigating more focussing on the problem. Ran my vcds and drove the car. the rear right is still giving a very erratic signal all other 3 sensors are reading consistant. I pulled the rear hub apart and th sensor ring looks a right rusty mess, so its going to be a new one and see if that cure the fault.

Attachments

• smIMAG1916.jpg
    smIMAG1916.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 2,909
  • smIMG-20181226-WA0004.jpeg
    smIMG-20181226-WA0004.jpeg
    645.8 KB · Views: 8,217
Somebody will need to figure out where this box is and take some pics. He did say it was directly under the right windscreen wiper. Under the panel that's in front of the windscreen when you lift the bonnet up.
He means the ECU. Under the washer fluid reservoir.
Obviously if water gets in there, it can cause all sorts of electrical issues and send error codes crazy.
Only a small amount of water will lead to corrosion as it's trapped in there.
Corrosion will lead to "bad" connections.

So I have been investigating more focussing on the problem. Ran my vcds and drove the car. the rear right is still giving a very erratic signal all other 3 sensors are reading consistant. I pulled the rear hub apart and th sensor ring looks a right rusty mess, so its going to be a new one and see if that cure the fault.
Fixed the ABS ring and all warning gone. YESSSSSSS. COST ME £20 FROM EBAY

are there any pictures of this fix?? or do you have any idea what this unit is called??

are there any pictures of this fix?? or do you have any idea what this unit is called??
As I posted above, he means the ECU. "Engine Control Unit"
Its in a sealed (supposedly) plastic box located under the washer fluid reservoir area.
If the scuttle water drain holes get blocked with leaves, it can flood the ecu box.
What he is saying is that water finds a way in and then can not get out again causing condensation "damp" inside the ecu box.
This eventually causes havoc with the ecu.

The OP has not updated his original post, so we don't know what has happened.
The other member with a similar story had a cracked abs ring. (nothing to do with ecu)

Reactions: Ben Bates
Just to clarify, UK RHD ECU is located on the opposite side to the washer fluid reservoir, same side as the steering wheel and easier to access than RHD, where the washer fluid reservoir gets in the way.

I know this is an older post but I have just had 4 errors pop up;

Parking Brake
Stability
ABS
Headlight Range control

I have been driving the car fairly regularly and apart from a service 3 months ago now, no recent work.

I had a look in the above stated box, which I’ll post pictures of, if I can work out how, but was bone dry inside. The ECU and relays/wiring looked immaculate.
Can anybody shed any light on what I can check/change to get rid of these faults.
Thanks in advance
Ross

Attachments

• 37F6203E-439D-45FC-9E0C-C75C8BDEE5A1.jpeg
    37F6203E-439D-45FC-9E0C-C75C8BDEE5A1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,946
  • 94D779E2-E927-462F-9D5A-D3AD26E029A6.jpeg
    94D779E2-E927-462F-9D5A-D3AD26E029A6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,674
Hi, without it being scanned it's a stab in the dark but abs sensors can throw up all of them errors on the dash, if you can't get it scanned with diagnostics unplug each abs sensor one at a time jack up the vehicle appropriately and get a multi meter insert the pins of multi meter into the plug of the sensor side, set meter to ohms and spin the wheel if no reading or irratic reading that sensor is possibly to blame, just my 2 cents

Reactions: spartacus68
I had all those when I changed tyres and briefly had different tyres front to rear! Sent the car mental.

Done anything like that recently?

If not I would say a wheel speed sensor is faulty!
I am having the same thing going. after i get the right tires, will all the error go away or should i have to erase the error?

I am having the same thing going. after i get the right tires, will all the error go away or should i have to erase the error?
After putting on the right tires. the car is back to normal

The funny thing is, I called Audi and even they were puzzled with my situation and so were the other mechanics out there. Sometimes patience with all these things is the last hope and the most important thing; dont mess around with the tire sizes..lol

Hi Guys,
I'm a new member. My car is the Avante Quattro 2l Diesel 2009 model B8.
I have the parking brake, esp and abs lights come on most times I drive the car so was pleased to find this thread.
Also sometimes the glow plug warning can come on and flash usually on long runs. If I stop and restart the engine the glow plug may or may not stay off.

When it went for its last MOT I replaced the front o/s abs sensor but a scan isn't throwing up any ABS codes. I've attached the three 'pages' of scan code faults and if I clear them they come back.
The next three pics show what's in front of the RH (drivers side) wiper. It doesn't look like the other pics on this thread and inside the plastic box everything appears dry.
Is this the correct box? I ask as another poster appears to indicate its under the washer bottle on the L/H/S but I can't see anything albeit I haven't removed the washer bottle.
The last two pics show the passenger (N/S) under the scuttle cover. at the washer bottle. Remember this is a UK RHD car please.

I'm kinda desperate as the car's mot runs out this week so any thoughts greatly appreciated. One last thing, someone indicated that on some cars the unit is on the passenger side floor. Before I strip it all out is this likely to be correct?

Thanks for reading and yes I'm getting desperate.

Attachments

• IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 1,292
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,375
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,483
Energy management is active. How old is the battery?

But how OLD is the battery. They don’t last forever, your car is a 2009 if it has the original battery that could be your problem. You need to fix the energy management active issue before you look at anything else. Once that is resolved you may find that all your other issues go away.

Ok thanks. I'll try another battery. Range Rovers have the same battery issues. I'll fit one, reset the DTCs and report back.

I've just checked the o/s/f ABS sensor and it's open circuit so I'll change that first then see what faults if any it shows.

UPDATE: £11 bought a new /s/f ABS sensor. Removed the Bosch one I fitted last time. All lights immediately extinguished. I cleared all the codes and today it sailed thro its MOT with no advisories. Result and it only took 10-15 mins. Thanks for all the comments. Am now going back to a Range Rover so A4 Quattro Avant 170hp version up for sale in a few weeks.

I've had the unpleasant pleasure of this popping up today:
Wednesday,15,December,2021,17:14:31:16365
VCDS Version: Release 20.12.0 (x64) Running on Windows 7 x64
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8K0-907-379-V2.clb
Control Module Part Number: 8K0 907 379 CL HW: 8K0 907 379 CL
Component and/or Version: ESP8 front H09 0020
Software Coding: 16154401
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325 000 00000
VCID: 055791092522D8F3405-8050
2 Faults Found

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame
Fault Status: 10101100
Reset counter: 118
Mileage: 199528 km
Date: 2021.12.15
Time: 12:42:37

Freeze Frame
Hex Value: 0x02A0
Hex Value: 0x003E
Hex Value: 0xC093

Freeze Frame
Reset counter: 118
Mileage: 199528 km
Date: 2021.12.15
Time: 12:43:08

Freeze Frame
Hex Value: 0x07A2
Hex Value: 0x0015
Hex Value: 0x028B

In Feb the car was parked a lot and had low battery, at the time I was thinking of replacing but after a long drive the low battery warnings disappeared and never reappeared again. However, I did do a scan at the time and got some under voltage errors on the ABS unit at the time, which I cleared. Not sure if it's related to battery but I feel it is unrelated. Anyone have an ideas? I guess I can check the ECU box tomorrow.

Sunday,21,February,2021,14:02:12:16365
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 7 x64
VCDS Version: 20.12.0.0 (x64) HEX-V2 CB: 0.4529.4
Data version: 20201124 DS322.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WAUZZZ8K4EA062393 License Plate:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8K0-907-379-V2.clb
Control Module Part Number: 8K0 907 379 CL HW: 8K0 907 379 CL
Component and/or Version: ESP8 front H09 0020
Software Coding: 16154401
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325 000 00000
VCID: 055791092522D8F3405-8050
2 Faults Found

00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame
Fault Status: 00100010
Reset counter: 244
Mileage: 193160 km
Date: 2021.01.19
Time: 17:48:18

Freeze Frame
Hex Value: 0x00C0
Hex Value: 0x0006
Hex Value: 0x1227
Hex Value: 0x1676

Freeze Frame
Reset counter: 244
Mileage: 193163 km
Date: 2021.01.23
Time: 12:07:16

Freeze Frame
Hex Value: 0x0082
Hex Value: 0x0015
Hex Value: 0x028E

Under voltage is battery related. How old is the battery?

Under voltage is battery related. How old is the battery?

Ye the under voltage was showing up when the car was alerting me in the battery was low every time I started it, have not seen that low battery error since.

The battery hasn't been changed in my ownership (for 4+ years) and I'm the second owner, I doubt the first owner changed it as he only had it a 2-3 years from new.

Are the 643 relays you mentioned actually on the ECU? And is this likely to be the same for an A3 of similar year

I have same problem with my Audi Q5 2012 2.0 TDI S Line Plus in UK. I am attaching the errors in order: Parking break malfunction, Stabilization program error, Headlight range error, and the last Gearbox error.

I opened the ECU box, everything was bone dry, even though I cleaned it very well. The problem still persists.

What I have experienced is the errors occur when the car is under sun for a long time. It doesn’t gice this problem often in the mornings when it is nice and cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpeg
    IMG_2249.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,204
  • IMG_2251.jpeg
    IMG_2251.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 270
I have same problem with my Audi Q5 2012 2.0 TDI S Line Plus in UK. I am attaching the errors in order: Parking break malfunction, Stabilization program error, Headlight range error, and the last Gearbox error.

I opened the ECU box, everything was bone dry, even though I cleaned it very well. The problem still persists.

What I have experienced is the errors occur when the car is under sun for a long time. It doesn’t gice this problem often in the mornings when it is nice and cool.
For any future users, I literally made an account to answer this problem.

I have an Audi A4 2011 B8.

Same issues as above. Except add TPMS Issue:

"stablilsation program: fault!" "Parking brake malfunction!" "Gearbox mal-function: you can continue driving (limited functionality)" "Headlight range control defective"

It seems to be a bad ECM Relay: TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10055713-5611.pdf

In the diagram the Relay 645 is a similar part to 643.

What I did was I removed the plenum cover, remove washer fluid spout, used a 13mm socket with extension to remove washer fluid spout, then used T-30 to remove 3 torx screws.

Afterwards I used the two tabs on the side to remove the cable, followed by the second retention tabs on the second mark.

I observed two 643 Relay's and removed the relay closest to the wheel well and got the same error messages when starting up. I swapped the 643 relays and was able to start my car up again.

Also my break pedal was super stiff and basically wouldn't let me depress much.

I went to the back and on the passenger side (usa edition) was able to access the relays and fuses and removed a 643 relay from the rear and replaced it with the offending relay. Left the car for an hour and the check engine light disappeared and was able to start successfully.

Hopefully this helps someone.