JoeBra

Reaction score
Hi all
Following guilds and a bit of research I have retrofitted;
  • DIS
  • Cruise control
  • Highline steering control module
  • Direct TPMS
Fitting the hardware was easy enough and the coding was reasonably straight forward, however I'm not completely finish as I've a couple of problems.
  • DIS- no problem full menu functionality washer fluid level pin 1 shorted to ground.
  • Cruise control - not work, measuring blocks look to be working for clutch switch and buttons (I can see the bits changing as you press them) maybe won't work with TPMS error on DIS. Anyone confirm?
  • SCM - reprogrammed and no fault codes
  • TPMS - this is where my issues are. I know the system hasn't learnt the new sensors yet but I don't believe the TPMS malfunction symbol should be on the dash during the learn process, can anyone confirm if any warnings appear on the dash after selecting change wheel? I have tried accessing the TPMS control module to check the programming and fault codes but get the no response from controller error. I have checked the wiring and all seems ok .pin 16 goes to pin 15 of the diagnostics so should be readable. Any ideas why I can't access the module? The CAN h/l and power wires must be correct as the instruments must be communicating with it as if I disconnected it I get a fault code and the tyre pressure selection is the DIS is empty. With it connected I can select set pressure or change wheels.
Sorry about the long read but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Thanks
Joe

Hi all
Following guilds and a bit of research I have retrofitted;
  • DIS
  • Cruise control
  • Highline steering control module
  • Direct TPMS
Fitting the hardware was easy enough and the coding was reasonably straight forward, however I'm not completely finish as I've a couple of problems.
  • DIS- no problem full menu functionality washer fluid level pin 1 shorted to ground.
  • Cruise control - not work, measuring blocks look to be working for clutch switch and buttons (I can see the bits changing as you press them) maybe won't work with TPMS error on DIS. Anyone confirm?
  • SCM - reprogrammed and no fault codes
  • TPMS - this is where my issues are. I know the system hasn't learnt the new sensors yet but I don't believe the TPMS malfunction symbol should be on the dash during the learn process, can anyone confirm if any warnings appear on the dash after selecting change wheel? I have tried accessing the TPMS control module to check the programming and fault codes but get the no response from controller error. I have checked the wiring and all seems ok .pin 16 goes to pin 15 of the diagnostics so should be readable. Any ideas why I can't access the module? The CAN h/l and power wires must be correct as the instruments must be communicating with it as if I disconnected it I get a fault code and the tyre pressure selection is the DIS is empty. With it connected I can select set pressure or change wheels.
Sorry about the long read but hopefully someone will be able to help.

Thanks
Joe

Im interested to see how you get on with tpms, will you be doing a guide when completed?

I may be of some use with regards to the "no response" message.

Firstly, do you have genuine vcds by chance. Im use a copy version which has worked perfectly so far.

Secondly, im in the process of retrofitting oem BT, (im of on a tangent, but stay with me!) Im finding the BT module gives me the same error message. When i blew the head unit fuse, i plugged in vcds and couldn't access the radio controller and was given the same message yet again.

What im getting at is, it appears when a module isn't powered up it cant be accessed via vcds, or at least this is my theory from personal experience.

Thanks for the reply @Alex Holmes yea I plan to do a quick guide once complete. I am going to do the same to a A6 c6 too and it's a different system so I will have to do a guide for it too.
The vcds I use is a freinds clone version. It's worked great on the A4 apart from the TPMS module. It also worked perfect on his A5.
I have checked the power to the module and it is fine so that's not the problem here if seems.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
@JoeBra did you ever solve this? I've got the same symptoms on my OEM install (works fine from the DIS, but no K-wire comms to this module). Fuses all fine, and vagcom to other modules on the car are fine. Do you have a pinout/wiring diagram for this system?

For what it's worth, my knock-off VCDS won't communicate with my radio at all, but my genuine one does. See if you can get access to a genuine cable.

That's an interesting idea. I can access my Xenons, which I understand is also on the second K-wire, so I figured the cable was working fine. I don't have access to a genuine cable, but I do have access to another B7 RS4... maybe I'll try to access my friend's TPMS. If my cable can read his unit, then that's not the problem, right?

For what it's worth, my knock-off VCDS won't communicate with my radio at all, but my genuine one does. See if you can get access to a genuine cable.

Thats a useful piece of info Lawrence. Im having some issues retrofitting oem Bluetooth, i think because my clone vcds won't access the required channel. Maybe i should try a genuine vcds

Evening Alex, not tpms related as such but picking up on the K-line parts of this thread.
When you retro fitted your rnse did you connect the k-line wire to the quadlock plug or was it already fitted.
When I changed to rnse mk2 I had problem accessing the radio module, it wasn't until I found the k-line cable all by itself not connected that did things become clearer.
I had to reconnect it into the quadlock plug with the cd changer, as soon as it was all reconnected the problem disappeared.

just a thought.

rob

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Evening Alex, not tpms related as such but picking up on the K-line parts of this thread.
When you retro fitted your rnse did you connect the k-line wire to the quadlock plug or was it already fitted.
When I changed to rnse mk2 I had problem accessing the radio module, it wasn't until I found the k-line cable all by itself not connected that did things become clearer.
I had to reconnect it into the quadlock plug with the cd changer, as soon as it was all reconnected the problem disappeared.

just a thought.

rob

I never connected anything, i just bought an adapter patch lead plugged it all in and coded it all. Worked a treat first time. That could still be the issue though. I could do with some more info though regarding the k-line location/relocation if poss?

this is it, just unconnected.
VZFW3553

It was behind the head unit, when I fitted the rnse.
I relised it was the same plug as the cd changer but just a single wire, I checked the wiring diagram for the quadlock etc and it is the K-line , wasn't until I removed it from that plug and fitted it to the spare connection on the cd changer loom , then into the quadlock plug that vcds gave my access to the radio etc.
very odd , but then its audi so anything is possible.
anyway , moved away from oem hu now but maybe worth a thought.

It was behind the head unit, when I fitted the rnse.
I relised it was the same plug as the cd changer but just a single wire, I checked the wiring diagram for the quadlock etc and it is the K-line , wasn't until I removed it from that plug and fitted it to the spare connection on the cd changer loom , then into the quadlock plug that vcds gave my access to the radio etc.
very odd , but then its audi so anything is possible.
anyway , moved away from oem hu now but maybe worth a thought.

Right i see. Like i say i don't recall that particular plug/wire set up behind my set up. I have the iso to quad adapter and a new adapter ( looks like a patch lead with the required wiring for the BT module wired in) maybe the kline wire needs moving

I’ve always had to add my own k-line cable into the adapter looms when doing the b7 Bluetooth retrofit - never bought a quad lock adapter that had it in there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve always had to add my own k-line cable into the adapter looms when doing the b7 Bluetooth retrofit - never bought a quad lock adapter that had it in there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input Phil, thats interesting to know. I might have to pick your brains for a little more info.

Alex

So some feedback: results on my friend's RS4 is the same as mine... TPMS works fine via CAN (ie DIS can communicate with it), but no access with knock-off VCDS via k-wire. I stuck an oscilloscope on the K-line, and I can see that there is activity on both cars, so it looks like the knock-off VCDS cable is trying... might be a signal integrity problem.

Is the TPMS retrofitted or factory fit? Is he having a TPMS fault or are you just checking it to see it if works.
My retro fit in now working fine I rewired the receiver and it cleared the fault, it has even warned when the pressure dropped a bit in 1 wheel. All the wires were correct but must have been a bad connection.
If he has a fault it can only be the receiver behind rear bumper or the sensors in the wheels. They can be checked by a tyre shop with a bartec or ateq tool. If its a new sensor it can be learnt to the system without vagcom too.

Is the TPMS retrofitted or factory fit? Is he having a TPMS fault or are you just checking it to see it if works.
My retro fit in now working fine I rewired the receiver and it cleared the fault, it has even warned when the pressure dropped a bit in 1 wheel. All the wires were correct but must have been a bad connection.
If he has a fault it can only be the receiver behind rear bumper or the sensors in the wheels. They can be checked by a tyre shop with a bartec or ateq tool. If its a new sensor it can be learnt to the system without vagcom too.

So have you successfully done the tpms retrofit to the b7 platform?

Hardware required
Control module
Receiver
4 wheel sensors
Wires I made my own loom.

Receiver mounts in rear bumper I just used cable ties. 3 wires to control module (power ground and signal)
Control module in boot panelling 2 wires for power and ground, 2 wires can and 1 k line
Car needs DIS and vagxom to activate TPMS.
I can get pin pins and part numbers later if you are planing to do it.

Reactions: tr7
Hardware required
Control module
Receiver
4 wheel sensors

Receiver mounts in rear bumper I just used cable ties. 3 wires to control module (power ground and signal)
Control module in boot panelling 2 wires for power and ground, 2 wires can and 1 k line

Nice work, yes number and pins if possible would be great!

Cheers Alex

Hardware required
Control module
Receiver
4 wheel sensors

Hi JoeBra,

Just looking at this mod as just bought an A4 B7 Avant and the valve stems need replacing so seems like a good time.
Do you have the pinouts and part numbers handy? Would be a good reference.

Also, what is the extent of the information the system displays? I have a colour DIS but do you just get "low pressure in tyre X" or can you get exact readings of each tyre pressure?

Lastly, in terms of reprogramming did you shell out for a full VCDS system or find a cheaper alternative/borrow one?

Thanks in advance,

Finlay

I'd be interested in this also @JoeBra if log back in

Seems you maybe from NI interestingly

Hi guys sorry it's been a long time busy with work and life and forgot all about this site until I got a pm and an email alert.
Attached list of part numbers. You basically need 1 5 and 10 and build a loom the rest are optional. And wiring diagram attached. Give me a shout if you need more detail I'll try to remember.

I still have the b7 but it's not moved from the start of lock down. I need to get it back on the road and sold. Now driving a b8.5 Avant also retro fitted with TPMS and I did a A6 C6 in the past too.
If you can't tell I have an interest in TPMS I work at a large TPMS. manufacture in Northern Ireland
the A4 b7 system is what's called a low line system with just a warning for pressure the A6 is high line and displays the pressure by location on the mmi. B8.5 same as b7 low line

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_191809.jpg
    IMG_20220928_191809.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220928_191714.jpg
    IMG_20220928_191714.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 16643891838154828202931243185445.jpg
    16643891838154828202931243185445.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • 1664389265167202460648789047358.jpg
    1664389265167202460648789047358.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Also wire out of pins used I just found

Attachments

• 16643899768297049576438833591756.jpg
    16643899768297049576438833591756.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
The A6 control module looks like it would also work if configured to basic they both use the same sensors in the wheels and I would assume the can messages are the same I have a spare 1 but never tried it.
It can be set to low line. It's default 2 we would need to change it to 0

Coding​

• 0?xxxxx: Data Carrier
    • 0 = 1 Antenna @ 433 MHz (Basis / PR-7K7)
    • 1 = 1 Antenna @ 315 MHz (Basis / PR-7K8)
    • 2 = 1 Antenna + 4 Trigger @ 433 MHz (High / PR-7K3)
    • 3 = 1 Antenna + 4 Trigger @ 315 MHz (High / PR-7K4)

Also plenty of aftermarket sensor for sale rather than the OE.
I used Schrader EZ sensor which is a universal sensor programmed via a Tom's diagnostic tool mainly ATEQ or Bartec. Not going to start a sales pitch for the Schrader sensor but plenty of perks over the other aftermarket sensor although I would assume they all work just some will be better quality battery life etc.

Also plenty of aftermarket sensor for sale rather than the OE.
I used Schrader EZ sensor which is a universal sensor programmed via a TPMS diagnostic tool mainly ATEQ or Bartec. Not going to start a sales pitch for the Schrader sensor but plenty of perks over the other aftermarket sensor although I would assume they all work just some will be better quality battery life etc