HELP!! A3 Brakes Spongy After New Pads, Discs & Multiple Bleeds

AudiTurbo8

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry in advance to post this, i know multiple threads exist on this but i can't get an answer unique to my situation. I have a 61 plate 1.8TFSI A3 black edition manual 6 speed with 49k on the clock.

I put new Brembo solid discs and pads on my car a couple of weeks ago, then bled them all round three times using a pressure bleeder at about 15-18psi, but still had a spongy pedal. At no point did I let the system or the pressure bleeder run even close to dry. When putting the new discs on, I did the usual opening each bleed nipple to push the calliper back in, and then after they were fitted I wanted to flush the fluid out since i have no record of it being done.

I then gave up and took it to a local mechanic. £76 later, he bled them twice using a pressure bleeder, said there's no air in the system but they're now even worse! They do work if i put my foot down, but there's a lot of travel and they feel really spongy. he's trying to tell me they'll get better as they bed in, but bearing in mind i've probably covered 100+ miles on them now they don't seem to be getting any better.

I've read a lot on line, some people saying about bleeding the Master cylinder, clutch and ABS pump (but i can't see how this is necessary since its never run low on fluid?!). Also reading a lot of contrasting advice on the bleeding order? I've always done Rear Left, Rear Right, Front Left, Front Right? Could this make that much difference?

Someone please help!!! it's doing my head in :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Don't worry about the order of bleeding, it's not that.
Did you change the rear discs and pads as well?

Don't worry about the order of bleeding, it's not that.
Did you change the rear discs and pads as well?
Hi soot, thanks for your reply.

Yep front and rear discs and pads. Driving it again today I don't think the pedal feels spongy, I just have to push the pedal down quite hard, almost as if I haven't got servo assistance but I don't know about that.

Before I changed them the discs were pitted and pads were knackered but the brakes were sharp and worked well. Can't believe that new discs and pads would be this much worse just from 'needing to bed in'?!

I've had pads before that were like you say soft and spongey (changed from fairly worn, but sharp pads) that remainder that way. Can't remember the brand, swapped them out for mintex in the end.

I've had pads before that were like you say soft and spongey (changed from fairly worn, but sharp pads) that remainder that way. Can't remember the brand, swapped them out for mintex in the end.
Hi kash,

Thanks for your reply. So was it the pads that were the problem? As opposed to the discs?

As you wound back the rear pistons when fitting the new discs and pads, the pistons do take some time to re-adjust. The brake pedal would feel 'springy' rather than spongy when discs and pads are changed. The pedal travel will shorten over time, if the handbrake has lots of travel as well, you can pull it up and down lots of times to quicken up adjustment.
Pressing the brake pedal lots of times will also help the rear pistons wind back out in closer contact with rear discs.

As you wound back the rear pistons when fitting the new discs and pads, the pistons do take some time to re-adjust. The brake pedal would feel 'springy' rather than spongy when discs and pads are changed. The pedal travel will shorten over time, if the handbrake has lots of travel as well, you can pull it up and down lots of times to quicken up adjustment.
Pressing the brake pedal lots of times will also help the rear pistons wind back out in closer contact with rear discs.
Hi soot,

The hand brake doesn't have a lot or travel at all, seems to work well. Do you reckon it could just be the pads? I've seen a few people saying that certain pads cause a hard pedal?

Thanks again for your help