HELP 2.0tdi bkd 140 intercooler clip smashed

TDI140

Reaction score
I was driving my car last night and accelerated not aggressively and suddenly a massive "tishh" noise happened and the car began to jerk back and forward losing revs i knew a boost hose had come loose i managed to get it home jumping around all over the place,

rang RAC this morning the guy checked it out and i was right the forge silicone hose had come off from the right side of the intercooler due to the intercooler plastic connection being snapped i have no idea how it happened has it happened to anyone else ? The result is i need a new intercooler :-(

also TPS intercooler with discount is £237.54 is it possible to buy an intercooler from a breaker and put it on my car aslong as the engine code of the other car is also BKD ?

thanks

get a second hand 1 if you can find 1

it happens, i had one of the metal clip secure points snap off my intercooler boost pipes on a normal drive.
maybe look for an S3 alloy intercooler and pipes to go along with as an upgrade now that you need to replace it anyway

Id rather just get a standard one again instead of messing around changing the boost hoses etc etc, is there a thread for removal ?,
and also a used intercooler will work perfectly fine as long as its not damaged ? I might go for a second hand as a new one is pricey and there is not straight swap aftermarket uprated ones

Ive downgraded to my spare car a vw lupo 999cc 50bhp and no torque its so slow that transit van drivers can overtake me :-(

Dont waste time with S3 intercooler as the hoses dont clip on like your current & it wont achieve any differences for your car setup, just stick with same one, as Bez says, used is perfectly ok if not leaking.

Dont waste time with S3 intercooler as the hoses dont clip on like your current & it wont achieve any differences for your car setup, just stick with same one, as Bez says, used is perfectly ok if not leaking.
thats the problem i cant tell if its leaking if its already been taken off the car ill just have to judge it on appearance if theres no obvious damage to the face of the intercooler and the clips are perfectly fine then it will be ok but can never be sure until its on the car and i take the car for a spin,
also the s3 intercooler can be fitted and secured the same way but the hoses that connect the intercooler on both sides need the couplers removing which is easy on my forge hoses and then slide then over the top of the intercooler connections and use heavy duty forge jubilee clamps but i cant be bothered with the work its too much hassle plus I'm not exactly running 300bhp to need an s3 intercooler

A very good point NHN, ive ordered a brand new intercooler from a company in sussex £100 free courier and it is an OEM part i rang audi and got a part number then matched it with the one from the company in sussex and success should be here saturday morning so should be fitted saturday afternoon which mean today i miss the derby dubz meet :-/

this happened to me once the 140 had its remap. the plastic boost hose that goes into the intercooler had snapped the clip under acceleration.

Quick fix - drill and put in 3 self tapping screws.

i believe its quite common.

Ive bought a new intercooler but theres oil in my exhaust and also oil settled in my boost pipework and oil residue in my turbo so i could have blown the turbo up aswel :-/ bad times its spitting oil everywhere

Check the turbo & any metal parts in the piping or you could be even more sorry.

I may have a turbo for sale.

Sorry NHN i didnt see that you posted on the thread, i had heavy smoke coming from my turbo but that was oil sitting in the exhaust i was told but i had the exhaust taken off and cleaned via pressure washer it drived great now but thanks for the help

Sorry to chip in on this thread but I've got a slight oil leak coming from the right intercooler hose where it joins the intercooler. Do I just need a new hose or do I need new clips too? If anyone could help before I start spending is appreciate it :)

If its leaking from the intercooler join then there could be a gap in the coupler, if ther intercooler is broken then really you want to replace it mate dont really want a bodge job

If its leaking from the intercooler join then there could be a gap in the coupler, if ther intercooler is broken then really you want to replace it mate dont really want a bodge job

Sounds stupid but I'm not really sure. It was in for a service and noticed some oil around the end of the pipe so guessing that its also leaking boost. I was thinking it must be the pipe so ordered one from tps at 62 quid!! However this thread has got me thinking is it the pipe or the intercooler I need?
Suppose I will only know when I take the pipe off at to whether its broken its only a little oil that's why I thought it must be the pipe join

Its perfecly normal to have oil in those areas tbh guys so its notlikely an IC or seal fault.

You can only avoid this by fitting a catch can to the breather on top & return line back to the intake pipe which will remove any oil fed into the system.

I love the idea of a catch can wonder who has done that :-L

Its perfecly normal to have oil in those areas tbh guys so its notlikely an IC or seal fault.

You can only avoid this by fitting a catch can to the breather on top & return line back to the intake pipe which will remove any oil fed into the system.

NHN for the oil to leak out of the pipe would mean a boost leak to though right?

Nope, mine has oil all round each connector & I leak tested with a smoke tool aswell last weekend, no leaks at all, when systems under pressure it probably seals any minute gaps is all we can say tbh & when its standing the oil probably gets through, but we thoroughly tested with factory tools with mastertech friend & not a whiff of smoke leak anywhere, cant get better than that.

Reactions: OVRA3
Nope, mine has oil all round each connector & I leak tested with a smoke tool aswell last weekend, no leaks at all, when systems under pressure it probably seals any minute gaps is all we can say tbh & when its standing the oil probably gets through, but we thoroughly tested with factory tools with mastertech friend & not a whiff of smoke leak anywhere, cant get better than that.

Well I've got no fault codes and maybe saving myself 62 quid for a pipe might be worth it.. Just feel its not boosting quite right maybe ill find someone with vagcom and see request vs actual and then see from there.