Help! 2.0 TDI BKD Head gasket / Cylinder head problem!

Samuel Thomas

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, new to the forum.

So I’ve trawled the internet and seen a lot of posts but none quite fit my description of my problem, so I understand that the BKD engine had a problem with the cylinder heads being porous or cracking.

My car is a 2008/57 plate 2.0 TDI on 135,000 miles and currently is using coolant at a rate I’ve never experienced in my life before, I’m talking two litres at least each and every day if not more. However this is where it gets complicated.

So the car never smokes, never struggles to start. Never does anything untoward, runs absolutely perfect.

There is no leaks, I’ve had it on a ramp and can not find a single leak anywhere at all.

Have pressure tested the coolant system and pressure went down pretty quickly.

Done a sniff test with the colour changing liquid and it went yellow after a few mins and squeezes, detecting combustion gasses in the header tank.

There is obviously a problem with the head or the head gasket but I’m not sure which or how likely it is to be the head etc

There is no water in the oil and no oil in the water either!

The cylinder head is marked with the letter C at the end of the model number, I’ve read that it always happens on the A heads, sometimes happens on the B heads and never happens on the C head so has left me thinking maybe it isn’t a porous head or cracked head and maybe it’s just a headgasket which is pretty straight forward!

If anyone can help with this I’d really appreciate it, I’m so confused because I’m loosing so much coolant but can not find it anywhere, the exhaust doesn’t smoke one bit, even in the morning!

Thank you guys and girls and I look forward to your responses!

Is the inside of the car dry?

My apologies forgot to mention, inside footwells are bone dry. Also don’t know if I said before but completed a sniff/block test and got a positive indication of combustion gasses inside the header tank.

When the head is off to replace the headgasket they’ll see if the head is cracked. And that’s it.

I’d personally do a temporary EGR cooler bypass then bung the EGR valve vacuum line and drive it for a day see it it still consumes 2l just to rule that out (they can leak internally).

More likely the head

When the head is off to replace the headgasket they’ll see if the head is cracked. And that’s it.

I’d personally do a temporary EGR cooler bypass then bung the EGR valve vacuum line and drive it for a day see it it still consumes 2l just to rule that out (they can leak internally).

More likely the head

Thought as much. Can do all the work myself with my brother but the parts cost probably outweigh the cost of the car for sure. Don’t know how much Audi charge for a cylinder head but DSD charge £840. Can swap my cams and all the bits over but there’s a few extras I’d need to buy ontop including head gasket kits, head bolts, cambelt and water pump etc.

How likely is the EGR cooler? Given that there is combustion gasses in the water system.

Cheers