hello im a newbie and need alot of help please!!!!

chrisw_s3mk1

Reaction score
so i bought my s3 8l today from bucks auto centre and got it for 1500 its got a fair few problems though :(
- cam belt needs changing as its on the teeth now bearing through nearly.
-pas i need help with this as its whining alot
-had a code saying boost valve sensor or summint what is that the map sensor ?
- i cant boost or full throttle as it seems to hold back and misfire pops and bangs hasitates what could that be the boost valve sensor ?
-my cars got 145k on it what is the the engine like ie piston wise when do they need rebuilding ?
please advise on above

Where are you based pal?
i wouldn't be chasing power and full boost until you have sorted the belt and water pump.
it might be worth taking the sump off and checking / cleaning the oil pick up pipe . They do get blocked on cars with this kind of mileage,

cheers mate im not chasing boost bud i cant put full throttle its like having a faulty ht lead/coil pack like its runing on 3 cylinders :/

Could well be a coil pack to be fair. Ideally you need to plug the car into Vag com or something like. It will show if its a coil pack .

my mates a mechanic and has a snap on touch screen diagnostic tool brought up aload of dtc codes cleared them and came back with boost valve sensor ? its strange i can drive it off boost but when you put it on load it holds back ?

Hi mate,

- Change the belt and water pump at the same time
- Check the oil pickup pipe as Paul said
- Check the PAS fluid level, it whines if it's low and is a common problem
- Check your coil packs and the wiring loom - cracked wiring loom is again common
- Boost value sensor - I guess this means the N75? (ASN'ers, please correct me if wrong :) )
- My car is on 137k and the engine hasn't been rebuilt and is ok

Welcome :)

cheers mate
where is the map sensor on these cars please ? and n75 not familar with that and wiring loom easy to spot a crack mate ? and how easy is it to check oil pick up pipe, forgot to say my pas pipes run underneath the gear box oil release plug and thats where i see the leak etc is this the normal place ?

cheers mate
where is the map sensor on these cars please ? and n75 not familar with that and wiring loom easy to spot a crack mate ? and how easy is it to check oil pick up pipe, forgot to say my pas pipes run underneath the gear box oil release plug and thats where i see the leak etc is this the normal place ?

The map sensor is under the cover near the battery, just behind the headlight, easy to see. The N75 is after the air filter on the turbo intake pipe (tip). It's got a cable in it and 2 pipes coming off it.

dont even drive the car with that cam belt.
it will end in tears mate.
thats the first thing i would have done, without even thinking about anything else

all above thanks alot good advice thanks liking this forum already as ive had no silly immature comments, ive got accounts on vxronline,stoc,cliosport.net owned all of them and had stupid hopeless comments cheers will update tommorrow when ive had the cam belt changed.:)

...also what year/engine code is your S3? (guessing a 1999/APY based on the price)

<tuffty/>

lools my bad ive read it now :) also yeah i belive so mate its a v reg so im guessing so im very nooooob to all of this im just concerned about the boost problem as for the other bits i can see but this one its difficult ****** as i cant narrow it down il give a description on what happens...
accererate... then full throttle nothing but hesitation and some times popping and banging air leak or somthink,like its either poped a boost pipe off the intercoolers it has two not sure if thats normal, or like a coil pack/ht leads.

If you think you have a pipe popped then I would think you should at least be looking for that...

My advice is this... check over all the pipes and hoses to look for signs of splits etc... a smoke test would be the best bet for this as it will show up leaks in system that are big enough to cause running problems..

You also need to scan for fault codes.. preferably using software such as VCDS but the generic code readers will suffice if thats all you have.. its important to know that when something goes wrong on these cars then a fault code is likely to appear... posting these codes will help diagnose the issue far better as codes just don't mean a sensor is broken they also elude to other issues...

Don't jump to the conclusion that a fault code is definitive as more often than not it isn't... for example a typical code is:
17608/P1200/004608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

This doesn't meant the N249 is faulty as such, its a code thats normally related to overboost situations where the owner has done an N249 bypass as the ECU can't use the N249 to dump boost

Post up the codes and check your pipes out and we can take it from there :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: jay1
ive found the problem on what appears to be the coil pack leads/ignition leads theirs a split as in the theirs a wire thats snapped off.its running into a grey solenoid sensor which looks heavliy bodged imo. im putting it down to this at the moment to be honest.

So ive put a new cambelt on water pump etc tidy up of fuel rail feed lines, new spark plugs,coolant, on inspection of of coil leads some bodge artist has bleeding taped up the bottom of the coil my mate thinks they did that to stop it arking out or somthing ? Anyway im curious ive still got the boost pressure control valve issue would coils changed sort this ? Or changing the map sensor or the sensor that looks like its a solenoid has been bypassed looks bodged had to change one of the pipes on it.il take a pic soon.

Post ****** fault codes dude instead of randomly changing stuff... :)

<tuffty/>

Sorry mate il try to get my mate to scan it again as i forgot last night to grab them :/ il get them asap probs monday now

The N249 valve has been dicked about with,the wires are for the valve,i would search the forum and remove the lot including that forge splitter DV valve or blank the atmospheric part.

+1... the vacuum chamber is missing so it won't work properly anyway... bin it and the split-r (as they are crap) and fit an OE DV for now until you know you have fixed all your current issues

The DV just needs vacuum from the inlet manifold... there is an N249/N112 delete thread for the APY S3 in the FAQ's up in the stickies section.. the N112 and N249 still need to be electrically connected though so leave them plugged in...

<tuffty/>

Il be honest i dont have a clue what im looking at mate il be honest bud need somesome that knows these cars inside and out and what is the part called thats ment to ve in its place apart from oe dv where csn i get one please.