Hello from the new owner of a 8L S3

Filth

Reaction score
Hi all,
I found this forum a couple of weeks ago looking for information on S3's and things to look out for. I found a car i wanted last week and went to view it on saturday and came away with it there and then. its a 2002 (52) and its a light blue/silver colour. The car has full service history and the cambelt and water pump were changed last year, currently has 117k on the clock and drives superbly(compared to my old focus that is anyway).

292698_10151208037887855_1247197277_n.jpg

so far I have found the following issues apart from the dent which i obviously knew about when purchasing:
slight dent in passenger rear wheel arch(no paint damage so not an expensive repair hopefully)
Bose subwoofer in the back vibrates and when cracked up makes a farting noise, maybe blown sub or possibly dodgy amp.
Today I noticed a piece of metal twisted downwards on the underside. near the front drivers side wheel.(attached image but will have to get on family members lift to look properly)
front inner tyre side is rubbing so possibly tracking or camber adjustment.

539497_10151208037722855_419107806_n.jpg

522795_10151208037342855_1352324954_n.jpg

The car has a couple of upgrade options that i know about from reading although i may be wrong:

chrome mirrors
Bose stereo (front loading disc changer)

the seats are half leather and half suede which may not be everyone's taste but i quite like, means i don't have the heated seats though (probably wouldn't use).

I see there's some nice cars on here and excellent examples of modded and standard A3 and S3's. I don't plan on modifying too much and currently don't plan any remaps (may change in future).

things I will be buying/doing:
new S3 gear stick and gaiter
fitting of armrest
vagcom lead and vcds software.
body repair
closer inspection repair of sound system(subwoofer)

thanks for reading, oh yeah im from Telford (west midlands) and will be looking forward to a couple of meets/events although they will probably be in the new year as I have a lot going on currently. Im not a mechanic and have never showed as much interest in learning about a car until I purchased this S3 so please be patient with any questions I ask as this will be a big learning curve for me. (the reason I joined in the first place.)

Welcome filth. Enjoy the forum.

Can't really see the upturned metal you speak off but the body work is likely to be rectifiable with little cost.

No mention of performance mods....I'd do those over a gaitor. :)

lol It is definately tempting but comes with extra insurance costs where as the gaitor and gear doesn't.

the twisted metal is on the left hand side of the picture the other cars wheel is behind it which doesnt help. has a small hole by looks which almost suggests there should be a bolt or something through it?

Thats Akoya silver my old A4 was that colour

Avus Silver, very nice and rare mate!!

Akoya Silver didnt come out till a little later.

To be honest, you are better off replacing the Bose sub altogether, do a search for Andymac on here, very impressive, also re the Vagcom(Now called VCDS) lead, send NHN (Nigel) a message on here, he will be able to sort you out with a genuine one, they are worth every penny.

Oh and welcome to the site, get yourself into the meets section, there is a Midlands sub section, get yourself known in there, there are a few of us Midlanders on here, so get stuck in!!

Nilz

thanks everyone, thanks for the recomendation for Andymac Nilz, everyone seems really happy with the package so something to definately look into, all be it in the future.

Ive had someone i work with tell me they believe the bit hanging down is from where the undertray would of been fixed too and is now missing. Its Plastic apparently not metal. He beleives its quite a common thing as it happened on his Golf 4Motion

Am sure it's akoya silver as its identical to my old a4's colour and I saw 1 or 2 s3 8l's in that colour (all facelift) when I was looking for one last year.

Pretty sure its not Akoya, the colour on the S3 was Avus Silver, Akoya only came out on the later model, I believe it wasnt available on the new shape S3 either as well....I could be wrong though ;)

I shall put an end to the debate, the colour code is LY7J which a quick google named it as Avus Silver.

has anyone else experienced issues with their undertray? ie falling off? two people with VW have told me it happened to them. apparently only riveted on and as the rivets catch on speed bumps etc the rivets grind down untill the tray comes lose and the force from driving pulls it off altogether.

No mate, dont worry about replacing it, it will only fall off eventually again!!