Hello everyone!! New S3 owner and a few newbie questions...

Paul Darby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you to the forum and everyone that contributes to it, for all the information, hints and tips that I've read over the last few weeks before buying my 2015 S3 (8V?) yesterday. S-tronic in Misano red pearl. Drove the 200 miles back down south from the dealer and barely stopped grinning :yes:

S3b

A few questions that I've not been able to answer from other areas of the forum, if anyone can help?

- iPhone paired with MMI on first attempt and am able to listen to music via Bluetooth connection with no issues, but how do I navigate through my music via MMI (songs, albums, artists etc) as at the moment I've only been able to skip forwards/backwards using the control knob to the right of the gearstick.

- Using an MMI>USB adapter and then normal USB>Lightening I have been able to connect my iPhone 6 however MMI is stating ‘not supported’. It is recognising that a device is connected and is my phone is receiving power and charging, but it seems I am not able to play music through the cable, which surprises me. Perhaps I am missing something obvious?

- Lastly, I like to have the digital speedo as main display with some of the other options (fuel mileage remaining, average speed etc) showing at the bottom. It seems that the only mpg information available when scrolling through the data at the bottom when using the digital speedo is the average mpg for that particular journey, rather than the full historical mpg. Is it possible to view the historical mpg at the bottom, rather than just for that trip?

Hopefully these questions aren't too dumb and would be really grateful if someone can help with any of these.

Cheers

Paul

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Hi Paul,

Congratulations on the car - looks great, I'm a big fan of Misano.

You won't be able to navigate any music apps on your iPhone via MMI - sorry! Even with CarPlay, you can only get to existing playlists etc and cannot actually browse or search.

You should be able to scroll through the display options for the OBC on the left hand steering wheel controls, I think.

Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you to the forum and everyone that contributes to it, for all the information, hints and tips that I've read over the last few weeks before buying my 2015 S3 (8V?) yesterday. S-tronic in Misano red pearl. Drove the 200 miles back down south from the dealer and barely stopped grinning :yes:

View attachment 130710

A few questions that I've not been able to answer from other areas of the forum, if anyone can help?

- iPhone paired with MMI on first attempt and am able to listen to music via Bluetooth connection with no issues, but how do I navigate through my music via MMI (songs, albums, artists etc) as at the moment I've only been able to skip forwards/backwards using the control knob to the right of the gearstick.

- Using an MMI>USB adapter and then normal USB>Lightening I have been able to connect my iPhone 6 however MMI is stating ‘not supported’. It is recognising that a device is connected and is my phone is receiving power and charging, but it seems I am not able to play music through the cable, which surprises me. Perhaps I am missing something obvious?

- Lastly, I like to have the digital speedo as main display with some of the other options (fuel mileage remaining, average speed etc) showing at the bottom. It seems that the only mpg information available when scrolling through the data at the bottom when using the digital speedo is the average mpg for that particular journey, rather than the full historical mpg. Is it possible to view the historical mpg at the bottom, rather than just for that trip?

Hopefully these questions aren't too dumb and would be really grateful if someone can help with any of these.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome Paul....and may l say what a stunning looking and very unusual colour combo/alloys....not seen many like that at all...Red BSP, those alloys and them absolutely gorgeous Matt Black Roof Rails....lol

As for the Techy stuff a hav'nt a clue....dont even know how work my own even after 2 years....lol

Reactions: David McQueen and Tom.H
Hi Paul,

You won't be able to navigate any music apps on your iPhone via MMI - sorry! Even with CarPlay, you can only get to existing playlists etc and cannot actually browse or search.

You should be able to scroll through the display options for the OBC on the left hand steering wheel controls, I think.

Thank you but this sounds mad, that it is not possible to navigate or browse your music via MMI. I've got about a thousand songs on my iPhone - that's going to take a long time to skip through to the song I want? Surely must be some kind of browsing functionality?

You can indeed access the overall average mpg by scrolling down when OBC is selecting as the main view, but I was hoping you could view it in that secondary position under the digital speedo.

Welcome Paul....and may l say what a stunning looking and very unusual colour combo/alloys....not seen many like that at all...Red BSP, those alloys and them absolutely gorgeous Matt Black Roof Rails....lol

As for the Techy stuff a hav'nt a clue....dont even know how work my own even after 2 years....lol

Ha thank you - yes very unusual isn't it. What's 'Red BSP' if you don't mind?

Welcome and nice looking car! :)

BSP is Black Styling Pack (the gloss black trim on the outside that's often chrome)

Thank you but this sounds mad, that it is not possible to navigate or browse your music via MMI. I've got about a thousand songs on my iPhone - that's going to take a long time to skip through to the song I want? Surely must be some kind of browsing functionality?

You can indeed access the overall average mpg by scrolling down when OBC is selecting as the main view, but I was hoping you could view it in that secondary position under the digital speedo.

Do you have WiFi in the car? Certainly on Android using WiFi and the app you can play music via WiFi and search the device/folders

Best to just dump your music to sd card. Then you get all the searching function on the mmi.

Certainly on my car 2015 model, one of the options under the digital speedo is total mpg.
Unfortunately, for some strange reason, Audi decided to not include time. So if you have the dis down or off you can't see the time on the car - how daft is that. It does have the date - but generally speaking I know what day of the week it is :whistle2:
I believe this shortfall has been corrected in the newer models, but I don't think you can get the dis updated.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Nice car. I like the 10 spoke alloys -I have the same on my car ("10-spoke titanium matte").

I don't know the differences between your car and mine but on my 2017 model you can browse your music folder when the iPhone is connected to the MMI via bluetooth. You go to "media" and then left click of the main jog wheel to select the source. It should show SD1, SD2, bluetooth audio player (the iPhone) etc. You can then browse music folders on your phone including playlists. I have copied all of my music to SD card because it's easier and doesn't rely on a bluetooth connection.