Hello and help!

JonnyBCK

Reaction score
Hello all im new to the forum my names Jonny im from Buckie and i need some help with an Audi S3 ive just bought. I have definently bought an absolute lemon of a car however im going to attempt to put it right as cheaply as possible
Let me start by when i bought and test drove the car, it had 2 warning lights up one for ABS and one for the oil level sensor amber colour, i thought no biggy should be an easy fix. then i drove it and straight away noticed this thing isnt boosting what so ever, i can here it spooling up and the wastegate dump open on lifting off but its very faint and it does not sound rite on boost sounds like its constantly dumping the air.

so i bought it anyway it was cheap enough ive dealt with turbo issues before so thought al take a punt. then it was a case of plugging it into vag com to see what is what.... oh F**K. this is the list it came back with
17524 Lambda Sensor B1 S1 open circuit
16518 Lambda Sensor B1 S1 no activity
17695 Boost Control Valve N249 open circuit
16502 Engine coolant temp sensor signal too high
18010 Power supply terminal 30 voltage too low
16885 Vehicle speed sensor implausible signal
17925 Main Relay J271 Electrical malfunction
16487 Mass air flow sensor G70 Signal too high
17947 Clutch pedal switch F36 Implausible signal
17964 Charge pressure control negative deviation
18057 Powertrain data bus missing message from ABS controller
00290 ABS wheel sensor rear left G46
01423 Lateral acceleration sensor G200 electric circuit failure
00813 Sensor 2 for Brake pressure G214

This is only the mechanical/electrics there are other things like interior lights. its apparently been broken into 3 times and had a crash or at least a small ding capable of setting the alarms off

I realise thats alot of asking but if you have any experience with the above list please share with me and help me get my little run around back up to its former glory

Reactions: SamHendry
First things first pal clear the faults and rescan, just in case there old codes that haven't been removed,

First things first pal clear the faults and rescan, just in case there old codes that haven't been removed,

Good call. I too have bought a car which is raiding my bank account to keep it on the road and this is a great place to start and the forum will help too

Give the maff, throttle body and the air intake temperature sensor a clean, to start with as it cost the price of some carb/brake cleaner and can make the car run far better.

I would be checking the earths, especially the ones under the battery tray. That seems like a lot of sensors to stop working

I think your bang on the money there mate, also with the voltage too low fault this can throw up alot of issues so first job is to replace the battery and while im at it check the earths il also replace all fuses just to rule them out. Then il scan again to check

good luck finding the problem, I hope it's something really easy to find and fix! There are some easy tests you can do to make sure your alternator is working as well. Can't hurt to do those.

I hope its easy as well but judging the over all condition of the car its probably going to be a pain in the ****

Haha pita is putting it kindly. Is the turbo ******?

I dont think so i can hear it spool up but it just isnt creating any boost i think the waste gate is maybe stuck open or the vanes/actuator on the turbo maybe arent operating due to the N249 valve fault

Hi there mate, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. It might be a good idea also to smoke test for any leaks, the pipework on these cars are prone to splitting and there is a high probability you may have a leak somewhere which could explain your lack of boost, visually check everything first especially the TIP and vac hoses under the inlet manifold.
That wont help with your electrical problems but keep fingers crossed you find something obvious with the electrics as most of those sensors are not cheap to replace.

Good luck

Steve