Heavy traffic overheat! Coolant pouring out thermostat

shan00ble

Reaction score
Driving along in heavy traffic today. All of a sardine car has overheated and coolant level low warning comes on. Stop immediately and wait for car to cool. Do a small inspection and coolant runs all over sump look a little deeper and it seems to be coming from thermostat housing.

First of all any tips on repair and parts needed. I have a new thermostat as it was mentioned in the FAQS. Anything I should check post overheat to make sure no other major damage was done as a result.

Thanks in advance.

If the leak is coming from stat housing my guess would be leaky stat O ring seal or maybe a split housing.

Okay so just use the sticky for thermostat replacement and replace seal and inspect housing? Thanks again.

Wouldn't bother changing stat. Unless it's faulty. Just replacement O ring. Don't make the silly error of putting the seal on the wrong side of the stat. I would recommend a 1/4 inch socket set with flex joints plus a magnetic pick up tool. Access isn't the best!

Excellent thank you. Will pick up the necessary from the tool shop so it can be tackled this weekend.