heavy duty rear springs for fwd avant

jbh

TDi lover
Reaction score
Website
www.retrobmw.co.uk
My dads managed to break a couple of sets of rear springs in his avant.
he uses it to carry his tools about. ( tbh he would be better of with a van!! )
he does carry a fair bit of weight so weve been looking about trying to get heavy duty springs.
any recommendations?

Probably Genuine Audi is the way to go? They're probably breaking because they're cheapy aftermarket springs, they're pretty **** things.

They do a couple heavy duty options, will need careful scouring of the parts listing to find them though.

The Audi Spring codes are thus:

1BA Standard
1BB Heavy duty (20mm higher)
1BC Special purpose
1BD S4
1BE Sport
1BP Heavy duty (same height as 1BA but with limited bump)
1BT Heavy duty (7mm higher)

But theres also a weight category that goes along with it, if you get me that category from the service sticker, i'll look up a part number for you. The weight category should be something starting 0Y, like 0YA or 0YC etc.

Reactions: Joshua Green and spartacus68
I run my B5 with sports springs (20mm lower than standard) and I'm lucky if I get 3-4 years before one of them breaks. This is genuine Audi parts (not cheap at £75 each plus VAT) and that's going back to 2012 prices, since I last renewed them. I tow a 750kg unbraked trailer a few times a year, and this must play some part on the condition on the springs.

Our salt-laden roads over the winter period don't help either. All that's protecting these new springs is a thin powder-coated finish. Pressure wash them regularly and check the condition.

get eibach springs. Ran them in old a3 with boot full of tools and towing for over 6 years and no problems...

Eibach do the pro kit and it leaves the car like sline drop if even. 10-15mm max.

I compared springs and they where a lot thicker than standard Audi springs.

Other than that he needs customs springs from someone where online.

hes ordered a set of munroe heavy duty springs so we will see how long these last... he got a discount on them from the local auto shop as hes bought about 3 sets of springs off them so far.

Would it suit to buy coilovers for the rear and upgrade to a higher spring rate?there are loads of companies that make 2.5" springs in different lengths and rates then you could have it at whatever height you wanted.

Would it suit to buy coilovers for the rear and upgrade to a higher spring rate?there are loads of companies that make 2.5" springs in different lengths and rates then you could have it at whatever height you wanted.
Both, me and aragorn, have been looking at changing springs on h&r coilovers. Rear springs are actually different ID at the top and bottom, so other than custom made springs, really difficult to find something to fit.

Probably Genuine Audi is the way to go? They're probably breaking because they're cheapy aftermarket springs, they're pretty **** things.

They do a couple heavy duty options, will need careful scouring of the parts listing to find them though.

1BA Standard
1BC Special purpose
1BD S4
1BE Sport

But theres also a weight category that goes along with it, if you get me that category from the service sticker, i'll look up a part number for you. The weight category should be something starting 0Y, like 0YA or 0YC etc.

1BA Standard
1BC Special purpose
1BD S4
1BE Sport

where can I find part numbers for the 1Bt springs with a pr of 0yr-oyt? Any help would be appreciated