Heating smells of puke!!

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Ello people

As above... my heating in the car smells of puke!! It's been smelling bit funky the past couple months but 2 days ago this big strong smell of it came out! Can't even put my heating on as it smells so bad!!

What is it :(

Thanks

Jay

I haven't tried the air con yet. But when i start the car from cold with the blowers on and the cold comes out you can't smell anything. When the car warms up and you can feel the heat coming it starts smelling!

Gimme 2 mins i'll check the AC

:icon_thumright:

Okay, so just got out of the car after letting it warm up and cooking my *** off. I can't smell it now! I haven't used my heating for 2 days because of this smell and now its just gone? Last night i drove home late night and it stunk then so i don't know where this mysterious smell has gone?

If this happens again does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks people, i thought the same thing too when it first started smelling lol.

Well after the above post where i couldn't smell anything, the car had been sat on my drive all night and wasn't moved anywhere. I've just come to work after a 20min drive, turned the heating on to check it out and it stinks again!

So it only seems to smell after a drive? Do you stil think its the pollen filter?

Would be the first thing I change for such a low maintenance/cost part fella, yeah.

cat puked in your inlet by the wipers ?

Thanks people, i thought the same thing too when it first started smelling lol.

Well after the above post where i couldn't smell anything, the car had been sat on my drive all night and wasn't moved anywhere. I've just come to work after a 20min drive, turned the heating on to check it out and it stinks again!

So it only seems to smell after a drive? Do you stil think its the pollen filter?

The actual smell is coming from the extracted water when your aircon is working in these warmer climates. It's best to start with tthe pollen filter first, as the aircon flow goes through this first, so if it's contaminated, you get this sick smell.

Ello people

As above... my heating in the car smells of puke!! It's been smelling bit funky the past couple months but 2 days ago this big strong smell of it came out! Can't even put my heating on as it smells so bad!!

What is it :(Thanks

Jay

its actually your air con system! mould/bacteria grows on the condeser, you can buy a disinfectant bomb from halfords that should get rid..designed for it
try putting the air con on in winter for a few hours when driving, also helps the seals :icon_thumright:.

^^^ That's a good suggestion. But be careful, people I know have been bent over before for these cleaner bombs. £70 according to one poor sod!

its actually your air con system! mould/bacteria grows on the condeser, you can buy a disinfectant bomb from halfords that should get rid..designed for it
try putting the air con on in winter for a few hours when driving, also helps the seals :icon_thumright:.

Is it actually called a disinfectant bomb? lol. How much and how do i deploy the bomb!?

Is it actually called a disinfectant bomb? lol. How much and how do i deploy the bomb!?

yes, you turn on the air con full blast, and make sure all windows are up then break the aerosol seal then get out quickly it uses all the can and you leave the engine running/door closed for about 20 mins..

yes, you turn on the air con full blast, and make sure all windows are up then break the aerosol seal then get out quickly it uses all the can and you leave the engine running/door closed for about 20 mins..

LOL! Sounds fun! How does it work then and get rid of the heater problem?

It will be called air con cleaner or some thing similar.

It smells strongly of lemon (or at least the one i used did)

I had to set the aircon to LOW (making sure air con is on of course) also make sure it is on recirculate, you then put the passenger seat as far forward as poss and also tilt it forward, set the "bomb" on the rear passenger footwell, crack it open and it is basicly just a pressurised air container with anti bacterial guff in it which is then recirculated around the air-con/heater system to kill all the smelly bacteria in there.

And to avoid this problem you should always keep the climate control on, it is designed to be used all year round not just when it's hot. If you only use occasionally then the bacteria starts to build up as well as the seals drying out and causing leaks & premature failure of the system

I'lll second the above. I run mine all the time and it doesnt smell like puke :)

Those things from Halfords are alright-ish, dont expect it to banish the smell 100% though.

I use mine everyday, not had any probs either, for a cheap fix.....magic trees in your vents!! ;) LOL

My mate used one of those bombs and it made his car smell just like lemon and puke so he had to buy a strong smelling air freshner too. He also regassed his aircon and the smell hasn't come back since.

No dude, change your pollen filter 1st, its only a couple of quid, quick and easy, then just let the CC run for a while.

Agreed. Change pollen filter first.

Then bomb it up.

SB50.jpg

im unsure if the price of these bombs. but when ever i get my AC re-gassed it gets a decontaminate cycle. takes about 40 mins start to finish and is included in the price of a re-gas. (so im told my mate does mine for free!!)

Smell gone and freshley gassed for the 6 days of summer we normally have. I would still change ya pollen filter as its pence.

Just for reference and let people know...

I went to Halfords and got the air con cleaner spray. Really easy to use and completely stunk the car of lemon zest lol. No more pukey heaters!! Woo!! :icon_thumright:

Did you change the filter?

Nope! I couldn't be ***** and seeing as i had to go Halfords that day i thought i'd see how the bomb would go first. It's all back to normal now so i'm not worrying about the pollen filter. It was only changed in September so it can't be that bad. If it happens again i'll check the filter but for now its smelling fine :)

Thanks for the help people.

a mate of mine put half a sandwich in my blower vent last summer when i went inside i had a disgusting smell for weeks until i found it the mofo!

i got my revenge though when i loosened his exhaust in 3 places n it all fell off in bits on the way out his estate. The pranks stopped after that!

anyway as mentioned id go with the pollen filter same thing in his A4 b5