Heating Controls - Missing Lights

bfevo

Reaction score
At night does anyone elses heating controls circled in blue not have any illumination so you don't know where the switches are to adjust heat / air con / fan.

There is a white line on these switches almost like a light should be behind it?

Capture

At night does anyone elses heating controls circled in blue not have any illumination so you don't know where the switches are to adjust heat / air con / fan.

There is a white line on these switches almost like a light should be behind it?

View attachment 215843

Yup has been widely acknowledged in another thread, Audi cost cutting at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 215843

Hi, I think their design logic was that you have the small screen at the top so you don’t need the lights to be illuminated.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Hi, I think their design logic was that you have the small screen at the top so you don’t need the lights to be illuminated.

That's exactly it ,as each switch corresponds with the display above it - still a bit cheap by Audi but that's their cost cutting all over at the moment

Reactions: AdamInKent and SillyGoose
That's exactly it ,as each switch corresponds with the display above it - still a bit cheap by Audi but that's their cost cutting all over at the moment
Which probably makes sense when sitting directly in front of it, but sitting off to the side, in the dark and on the move, it’s a terrible design idea.

Which probably makes sense when sitting directly in front of it, but sitting off to the side, in the dark and on the move, it’s a terrible design idea.
Agreed! Its a ****** LED bulb, but I guess if you save 1p on 1000's items in a car it all adds up. Oh well I know its not broken now just was never there. Thanks all for applying.

Agreed! Its a ****** LED bulb, but I guess if you save 1p on 1000's items in a car it all adds up. Oh well I know its not broken now just was never there. Thanks all for applying.

While I agree with your wider point, it’s more than a LED (which, even on its own, probably costs more than you think). It’s multiple LEDs & diffusers (or whatever the light source is) with associated wiring and connectors / contacts and a possible need to update or increase components in the drive electronics. It’s also increased assembly cost (both for the switches and the complete display unit), increased test cost and increased yield / warranty cost (caused by “infant mortality”). As you say, these costs add up and make a significant enough difference that a team of people at Audi made the decision not to light the switches.

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyGoose
Audi could have put those glow lines there like in old school watches and clocks, so it illuminates at leaset for the first 5 mins and then the glow fades later :).

Reactions: AdamInKent
As you say, these costs add up and make a significant enough difference that a team of people at Audi made the decision not to light the switches.
Unfortunately, that’s the kind of thing I like to think I’m paying for when purchasing a “premium” vehicle.

Reactions: Ludus and Sparks43
I wonder if they can be modded.

I wonder if they can be modded.

Probably, but it'll be quite a huge job to do - it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle, time & money for the sake a of a few lighted switches.

Probably, but it'll be quite a huge job to do - it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle, time & money for the sake a of a few lighted switches.

Haha you don’t yet know the extent to which I will go to add leds.

Added rear passenger footwell lighting and red leds In the rear doors and puddle lights in my mk5 golf (door skin removal and wiring)

Took apart my genuine xenons to add led daytime running lights and indicators strips on the bottom

Changed rear lights for leds (genuine lights like on passats and golf plus)

Changed interior lighting to led from China. (New pcb cob lighting) Yes you had to wear sunglasses at night

And modded the rear lights to get the skyline look.

Changed red leds in interior lighting on switches to white before manufacturers were doing it. And climatronic unit.

Oh and almost forgot about changing from GTI to R32 instrument cluster and changed the blue leds to red and white including needles etc.

So I am somewhat a master of leds now

So yeah I’ll probably end up buying some to mess with first not use the ones from my car when it comes.