Heated wing mirror not working (again)..

Crozzer84

Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully looking for some advice. I purchased my Audi A4 Avant back in the summer (66 plate). Since the colder mornings have arrived I noticed the drivers side wing mirror wasn’t heating up and de-misting as the passenger side one was. Anyway, after looking on the Internet I found some advice to remove the glass and clean the space connectors up a bit and see if that works (I have very little expertise on mending cars and the like by the way).. anyway, I was really proud of myself as I did this at the weekend (Sunday) and I felt the mirror and it was working! Yesterday morning I got in the car and again the mirror heated up. However, this morning (Tuesday) the mirror is once again not working... I don’t have an amp meter and have very little skills to start taking other parts of the door apart. Is there anything else I could try before taking it to a dealer? Could I have applied anything else when cleaning the spare connectors to prolong them working next time? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't work constantly, only when rear demister is on, door mirror switch position & the outside temperature is low.

I would check the other side if its working now too, if it is, swap mirrors across just to test then it'll prove of its the glass gone or not.

If your car is a 66-plate, it's likely to be a B9 model rather than a B8. Maybe a nice moderator will move the thread to the right place for you. :)

Reactions: V6_Man
They don't work constantly, only when rear demister is on, door mirror switch position & the outside temperature is low.

I would check the other side if its working now too, if it is, swap mirrors across just to test then it'll prove of its the glass gone or not.

I wasn't aware of this...can't say I have noticed. Will double check my set up..

The passenger side mirror worked this morning. I also had the drivers side working for a couple of days so it can’t be the glass can it?

If your car is a 66-plate, it's likely to be a B9 model rather than a B8. Maybe a nice moderator will move the thread to the right place for you. :)

I’m sure it’s a B8 (forgive me, it’s the first Audi or decent car for that matter I’ve ever owned). It’s a 66 plate but it’s not got virtual cockpit or anything like some other B9’s I’ve seen.

I’m sure it’s a B8 (forgive me, it’s the first Audi or decent car for that matter I’ve ever owned). It’s a 66 plate but it’s not got virtual cockpit or anything like some other B9’s I’ve seen.

Post a pic; we can always get it moved back to B8 if need be.

IMG 6181

IMG 6185

Maybe emphasises hire little knowledge I have about cars then lol! So, in answer to the original post, does anyone have any ideas please?

NHN, I knew they only worked below a certain temperature, but wasn't aware about the rear demister needing to be on so thanks for that!
Also, do i need to move my mirror switch away from the "passenger dip" position and into the "heated logo" position then?
Cheers!

** update - so today I’ve tried the drivers mirror on the passenger side and vice versa - hoping one would work and the other wouldn’t so I would know if I need to replace the glass or have the wiring seen to... unbelievably, and annoyingly, both worked when swapped to the other side!!! Swapped them back again and once again the drivers side is not working. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to do next please? I’m as a total loss. Thanks in advance.

Mine is a 67 plate B9. It's under warranty until Friday 20th. The nearside glass isn't getting warm or de misting, so it's booked into the main dealer on Tuesday. I'll report back. I can confirm the rear screen doesn't have to be activated to make the mirror de misters work.

Car went in yesterday evening. I got a phone call this morning to say they've replaced the glass & element. They had one in stock. When pressed, they confirmed it's a fairly common fault. They also discovered the driver's heated seat isn't working either! Fixing that today. I'm thinking the whole seat will have to be dismantled?

Car went in yesterday evening. I got a phone call this morning to say they've replaced the glass & element. They had one in stock. When pressed, they confirmed it's a fairly common fault. They also discovered the driver's heated seat isn't working either! Fixing that today. I'm thinking the whole seat will have to be dismantled?
It's a good thing you still have your warranty on that car. Imagine if these issues occurred outside the warranty period.

It's a good thing you still have your warranty on that car. Imagine if these issues occurred outside the warranty period.
That's the reason I booked it in. If it was out of warranty neither job would have been undertaken.

Oh I see but overall I'm guessing the car has been reliable as a whole?
In the main yes. I've had it back at the dealers a couple of times for squeaks & rattles. A £40k car shoudn't have these. Underwhelmed in the 3 years I've had it. I fancy the 3 series touring next.

Reactions: Mkay315
In the main yes. I've had it back at the dealers a couple of times for squeaks & rattles. A £40k car shoudn't have these. Underwhelmed in the 3 years I've had it. I fancy the 3 series touring next.
Oooooh. You're looking to switch it up to a beamer next?

Hopefully when I get my A4 it's of a good quality and trouble-free.