Heated wing mirror fault - one side

mbglos01

Reaction score
Trying to fix a fault with near side heated wing mirror, which no longer heats up. Drawn a blank where to look next. Any ideas?

So just near side not working - volt meter reading 12-13v on drivers side mirror when tested (heated mirror selected on dial) but zero volts on passenger side. Heated mirror element in tact. Heater contacts cleaned but fault remains.
Mirror is simple heated one (not dimmer as well). Electrics to folding mirrors and electric windows still work fine (which I understand share same fuses, though can’t find wiring diagram to prove this) - does anybody know fuse position for heated mirror to I can double check?

Apparently car showed a fault relating to heated mirror when checked in past, but wasn’t told what the code was.

Car is A6 avant C7 2014 2.0 TDI s-line

Assuming you've done a continuity test on the wires back to the door module?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it possible to retro fit the heated auto dimming mirrors? I have heated but drive a lot at night so dimming ones would be a very nice upgrade!

Yes I've fitted quite a few.

WhatsApp me if of interest.

Assuming you've done a continuity test on the wires back to the door module?

only just managed to get around to stripping the door panel - continuity to the door control module is fine.

All other functions in the door is fine - would this indicate a fault at door module? Or could it be something else.

I would grab 2 repair wires, connect to the mirror & door module, bypass the existing as it may still show continuity, but could be broken still, just to totally discount point to point.

Then can look at the module.

Test the passenger glass on driver's side just to be sure that's ok.

Reactions: mbglos01
Did you manage to get this sorted? Mines failed too and left me a bit puzzled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I managed to sort it.

I actually had the glass broken - so had to replace the glass anyways (luckily just heated not dimmer glass - so after market products not too expensive, £24 from Amazon).
This fixed the issue.

The advice above was correct - despite having continuity in the wires still (or what I think in my case, faulty pads on the glass) it was damaged enough not to allow enough current to flow.

Thank you everybody for your help.

Reactions: rjwojcik