Heated side mirrors - Safe to leave on all the time?

ahfh1

Reaction score
Hi

I have the heated side wing mirrors, which have been great now that the weather is getting frosty.

I often forget to switch off the heated mirrors. Will it do any damage to the mirrors in the long term? Or does the heat stop automatically after say 15 mins (a bit like the rear window heater)?

Thanks

According to the Owner's Manual " The mirrors are heated (depending on the outside temperature and road speed). As it gives no warning about leaving them on I assume if OK. I've had my switch set in the 'heating' position for several months will no problem as it dries them when they get wet.

Reactions: ahfh1 and Snibo
I always forget to turn them off, but as previously stated it does dry the mirrors when it rains. Never had any issues here. Works really well when it's been raining and I go into an underground carpark which can be quite humid at times so misted up mirrors for me :)

Yep it's fine to leave them on all the time.

They do an initial warm up to clear water and then low power cycle periodically to keep them clear.

John.

Trouble is if you've got the passenger dipping function, you can only have dipping OR heating and not both, I think... Annoying as I have to reverse up to a kerb at work and although mirror is dipped I can't see anything cos it's wet/misted up!...

Agree heated mirrors are great for clearing water when it rains!

My dealer told me that the mirror glass is only heated when the switch is rotated to the 6 o'clock position AND the heated rear window button is lit on the dash, ie they will turn off on a timer at the same time the rear window does.

The eco bit in the DIS will tell you when they are on. It's fine to leave them on but they do lower your mileage by more than you think!

I thought mine only came on when you pressed the heated rear screen... and had the Mirror Control set to the heated position.... Am I wrong?

The eco bit in the DIS will tell you when they are on. It's fine to leave them on but they do lower your mileage by more than you think!

Does the DIS tell you when:

A) Heated rear window is on
B) Heated Side mirrors are on
C) Heated rear window AND heated Side mirrors are on?

I'll have a look myself after work!

I thought mine only came on when you pressed the heated rear screen... and had the Mirror Control set to the heated position.... Am I wrong?

It's possible this may be a trigger for them to come on but its not a requirement

Mine come on without the need to turn on the heated rear window. Just the mirror switch in the 5 o'clock heater position.

It's possible this may be a trigger for them to come on but its not a requirement

Mine come on without the need to turn on the heated rear window. Just the mirror switch in the 5 o'clock heater position.

Mine are the same. I often use the heated mirrors but have not yet had the need to turn on the heated rear window. The mirrors work fine without the HRW.

So how do you tell if they're on if there is no illuminated symbol? In the dash display somewhere?

This is dragging up an old post, however can someone clarify whether you need the rear windscreen button on as well as the mirror knob at 6 activate the heated mirrors?

Thanks

This is dragging up an old post, however can someone clarify whether you need the rear windscreen button on as well as the mirror knob at 6 activate the heated mirrors?

Thanks

My heated mirrors appear to work without the rear windscreen element turned on.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Wish they just came on with the same switch as the heated rear screen to save messing about.

Reactions: pburv
I switch mine off when the glass has cleared. Unless they switch off after a certain time automatically it must harm the heating element?. Boiling an empty kettle springs to mind?.

I had them in the ON position for 4 years in the 8P A3! Do they really affect mpg?!!? Might explain why I never went higher than 22mpg :-/...then again it was a V6! :footy:

I'm going to see if that statement is true and check the miles on the next tank!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Yep defo independent of rear heated screen but also depends on outside temperature and vehicle speed (apparently!) so not always on even when in the switched on position.