Heated Seat - what do i need?

manzi

Reaction score
hey,

just got a set of leathers for my avant, its from a 96 b5.
how and what will i need to have the heated seats function?

my avant is a facelift model 99 and has standard cloth interior. bog standard.

You'll need the facelift climate control unit with the built in heater controls for starters. When I retro fitted my heated Recaros into mine, I found a whole loom from someone breaking a car.

Infact, are you absolutely sure that the seats from a 96 car have the heating elements in them (ie: are there two plugs on the underside of the seat - not including the airbag connector)?

getting the heater controls with extra switches is the hard part, i gave up searching and ended up buying a complete car to break just because it had them

the harness is a pig to remove as it goes into main dash loom, but kufatec do one

youll also need to adjust airbag wiring as a 98 is different to facelift

getting the heater controls with extra switches is the hard part, i gave up searching and ended up buying a complete car to break just because it had them

I ended up buying mine from the US through ebay as it worked out cheaper from there than anyone in Europe.

you can make up some heated dials from pre face switches where they are supposed to fit Byzan A4 has done this

i have to be honested, i was prepared to let the heated seat function go but this quote worries me.
youll also need to adjust airbag wiring as a 98 is different to facelift

whats needed for this??

searched and failed to find Byzan A4's thread on the heated seats.

The airbag connectors are physically different, but the only difference to the wiring is that the earth for the airbag runs to the airbag connector on facelift, but the earth for pre-facelift goes to one of the other connectors.

If you're interested, i'd be keen to swap your facelift connectors for my pre-facelift connectors as I have facelift seats fitte din my 98 car.

As for the heating elements, now that i've got them I would never do without on leather seats. Also the only mod i've done to the car that the missus actually appreciates!

I didn't think it was that hard to find the climate control units. Try a few different breakers. If you are really struggling, all they are at the end of the day are variable resistors coupled to a relay. Pretty sure you could fabricate some up without too much hassle.

blue_thunder, i know the feeling of heated seats, i had a VW vento VR6 previously and that had all the toys in it. heated seats is definately a luxury.

i will let you know about the connectors, i've got to get them first lol.
are you suggesting that these connectors can simply chopped off and crimped?

i thought exactly the same of fabricating something, can't be that technical to hook them up. i know of a little in electronics so, surely it'll be easy.

i will let you know about the connectors, i've got to get them first lol.
are you suggesting that these connectors can simply chopped off and crimped?

i thought exactly the same of fabricating something, can't be that technical to hook them up. i know of a little in electronics so, surely it'll be easy.

You could just cut both connectors (seat and loom) off and join them together, but I'd personally avoid that because if you ever try to sell the seats in the future it might put potential buyers off if they don't have OEM connectors attached. Hence why I think it makes more sense to just swap the connectors on the main loom.

I've just been driving round with resistors in my loom connectors to keep my Airbag lights off as I haven't found anyone wanting to chop off their loom connectors and swap them with me. You know you want to! :D

these seats will be staying in :happy:
my avant already has 182k on clock, can't really see anyone having it off me after i've done with it.

if its what i need, i'm happy to swop but for the min i still don't know what i'm looking at. everythin will be clear when i pick them up.

SEATSSSSSS

31355_424123249668_510909668_5433126_1148800_n.jpg

connectors don't fit :(

can anyone confirm whether its simply connecting them by other means or will it require bit of trickery coz of outputs from facelift models and pre-facelift.

ah, i didn't quite understand the part about having resistors in the loom, but its just clicked :happy:

ah, i didn't quite understand the part about having resistors in the loom, but its just clicked :happy:

The resistors just bridge the connections on the main loom, so it fools the ECU into thinking that you have plugged them in to working airbags. When you do this, your airbags won't work because they aren't connected to the car.

hey blue_thunder

lop em all off about 1.5" - 2" on main loom? or should we meet up then do em so we know what wires go where etc?

Blue_thunder!!!!!

why does your other connector not have any coloured wires???????? just has 2 straight bold yellow wires!!!!!

AIR BAG LIGHT STILL REMAINS AFTER CONNECTING!!

Because i have a facelift a4, i have 3 wires from the original plug/socket, the seats i put in were from a pre-face, i have tried the couple of combinations and still couldn't get the air bag light off, whats gone wrong?

blue wire always connected to blue wire, the 2 browns though, i have tried the few combinations and no good :crying: HELP pls

dont you have to turn the airbag light of using vagcom? im sure you do as i had same problem when i disconnected my passenger seat then turned the car on etc.

even tho i re connected the seat when i put it back in the airbag light stayed on and had to use vagom to turn it off

so even tho yours probably connected right the light will remain on til you turn it off via the software

alan

Manzi, on mine the two wires from the airbag connector obviously go into the seat, the extra earth which you now have needs to go into one of the pins on the red connector block. I can check tomorrow morning if it's the top left or bottom right.

As for the connector having two yellow wires, think that's just electrical insulation tape. I stripped some off my loom to reveal the white/blue and white/(other colour i've forgotten).

And you will need to clear the airbag warning light with Vagcom once you've got it all connected.

cheers alan, cheers blue_thunder.

i must have missed that part about the extra earth. did wonder where that needed connecting else where for Air-bag light to go off :p

does it have to be vagcom or can those fault code readers clear it, by means of cheap ebay jobbies.

vagcom as far as i know im afraid........if your friendly with a local gargae they will do it for you probably for free as it take just few mins to do....thats what i did

is it safe to connect both brown wires together?

I would say that one of the browns will probably be pretty beefy as it will be the earth for the heated seats.

If thats the case dont connect it to the existing airbag earth, you want it connected to a similarly meaty cable. If in doubt run a new earth to a decent grounding point on the chassis.

Technically I shouldn't need to connect the bold brown if it's for heated seats coz there is no wiring for heated seats right?

So that leaves me with connecting the yellow/blue & yellow brown only.

if theres only one brown then i'd suggest it needs to be grounded?

I just meant that if there was a thin one from the airbag and a fat one from the heated seats, dont fit them both to the airbag wires.

cheers aragorn.

there is a bold brown, yellow with blue line & yellow with brown line, all three were on the facelift connector for the air bags. because i now have pre-face lift leathers, i've swapped connectors with blue_thunder and those connectors only have 2 wires instead of three.

yeah, pre-facelift has 2 wires and face lift has 3.

I wouldn't leave an earth disconnected, they are there for a reason!

Extend the thin brown wire which you have 'left over' and join that to the earth pin on the red connector block under the seat. That is how the pre-facelift seats are wired up.

cheers blue_thunder. that sorta cleared something up for as i wired thin brown to socket & not the thick one.

Might be easier for you to post a pic of your wires up, as i'm totally lost!!

Do you have a red connector? If so, which wires does it have?

lol. i will at some point but getting pics off my phone is a pain so i kinda avoid it :p

i don't have any of the heated seat connectors. no wires or connectors. just the socket on seats.

i'll get a pic up later :laugh: