Facelift Heated Mirrors

Boaby

Reaction score
Hi All, might be a silly question but how do I tell the heated mirrors have been activated?

This morning they were frosted up and no matter what I did with the mirror button they didn't seem to come on. The light stays the same as well so I've no idea if it changes to indicate they are on.

I even thought as I didn't spec additional options it might not even have them but can't see anything on the Audi site to say otherwise. The manual is useless as well as it only tells you what the symbol is.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi All, might be a silly question but how do I tell the heated mirrors have been activated?

This morning they were frosted up and no matter what I did with the mirror button they didn't seem to come on. The light stays the same as well so I've no idea if it changes to indicate they are on.

I even thought as I didn't spec additional options it might not even have them but can't see anything on the Audi site to say otherwise. The manual is useless as well as it only tells you what the symbol is.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mirror button? I don't know of any mirror button or associated light. The heater is on your mirror adjusment knob, it is in the 4 o'clock position. No lights come on.

They come on with the rear heated window. So basically, turn that on and the mirrors will defrost. It's not instant, give it 2-30 seconds as the element needs to heat up.

They come on with the rear heated window. So basically, turn that on and the mirrors will defrost. It's not instant, give it 2-30 seconds as the element needs to heat up.
I've got the saloon and don't need the rear window heater on, they act independently. Mine is a PFL

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've got the saloon and don't need the rear window heater on, they act independently. Mine is a PFL

Really? I've only ever had hatches, but I thought all cars heated mirrors came on with the rear window. My brothers 320D which is a saloon is also the same actually. How odd...

OP, is yours a saloon or hatch? Just wondering if it's different...

It's the saloon. Nah it's not related to the rear window at all. You just turn the mirror adjustment knob to the heater setting. Same on golf hatchbacks so be surprised if yours any diff

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
Mirror button? I don't know of any mirror button or associated light. The heater is on your mirror adjusment knob, it is in the 4 o'clock position. No lights come on.

Sorry, I meant the mirror adjustment knob.

For the heated mirrors the knob is pulled back to the 6 o'clock position but the heated mirror light doesn't change to indicate if they are on. The mirrors didn't defrost at any point so not sure if they are faulty.

It's a S3 sportback.

I'm wondering if I'm being dumb and the heated mirror light is actually a button as I never thought to press it?

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the mirror adjustment knob.

For the heated mirrors the knob is pulled back to the 6 o'clock position but the heated mirror light doesn't change to indicate if they are on. The mirrors didn't defrost at any point so not sure if they are faulty.

It's a S3 sportback.

I'm wondering if I'm being dumb and the heated mirror light is actually a button as I never thought to press it?
There is no button, you simply twist the knob to the heated logo position, which as mentioned is at approximately 4 o'clock position

Sounds like you may have a fault / need to check the wires at the mirror end to make sure they're properly attached

Reactions: Pook and Rob2k68
On mine, you rotate the mirror adjust knob to the 6 oclock position. There is no indication that they are on except after a few minutes mine are completely clear

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
On mine, you rotate the mirror adjust knob to the 6 oclock position. There is no indication that they are on except after a few minutes mine are completely clear
On a very cold morning once I had an indication they were on... there was quite literally steam / mist coming off them :D Ha I was quite impressed

Reactions: allanmb and Rob2k68
Just turned the knob right round to the right and it works.

Definite facepalm moment for me lol

Cheers guys

Reactions: Pook, Mark_86, azibux1 and 1 other person
If condensation or frost is obscuring them you know they are working as the glass is warm to the touch.

Not sure if putting them on in 'normal' conditions to test will work as they may be linked to other sensors ambient temp/condensation which I believe is how the rear screen heater works in order to conserve battery power.

As said above no warning light or other visible clue to show that they are indeed on. I would have preferred the mirror heating to have been on the same button as the rear screen demist so that I could just leave the mirror knob to the reverse dip position as I often forget to switch it back.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Wont it show up on the DIS part? i forget the option but maybe its called "efficiency", the part where it shows a green bar & how much fuel is being used for certain power drain systems? Mine is a hatch & rear window works independently (hence why it has 2 buttons?!). Recently was -7 and just switching the rear on did nothing to the mirrors.

Wont it show up on the DIS part? i forget the option but maybe its called "efficiency", the part where it shows a green bar & how much fuel is being used for certain power drain systems? Mine is a hatch & rear window works independently (hence why it has 2 buttons?!). Recently was -7 and just switching the rear on did nothing to the mirrors.
This was my thought, it definitely shows the rear heater here. I am sure it shows the mirrors too.

Yes the consumption display shows the mirror heaters but I bet that just goes by the knob rather than whether the actual heaters are working

Reactions: Audi Bairn
On a very cold morning once I had an indication they were on... there was quite literally steam / mist coming off them :D Ha I was quite impressed

Yes' I've seen this a few times! It was -10 near Inverness over Xmas/NY and there was quite a bit of steam coming off them :-D

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Not sure if that helps?! And that's in the efficiency program! Photos for reference!
IMG 2381
IMG 2382

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Ormesome and azibux1
That pic also clears up some confusion over 4 o'clock vs 6 o'clock.

Seems for those with folding mirrors it is at the approx 4 o'clock mark for heating, those without folding have the heating function at 6 o'clock mark

Reactions: Rob2k68, Pook, Audi Bairn and 2 others
That's where it gets confusing... it depends if they have the folding mirrors like you say, it'll be nice if someone on here has the folding mirrors to clear that one up lol

Reactions: azibux1
That's where it gets confusing... it depends if they have the folding mirrors like you say, it'll be nice if someone on here has the folding mirrors to clear that one up lol
I have. Hence my post lol

Because there is a folding option there somewhere (anti-clockwise of the left mirror adjustment I believe) in the mix, my heated option is at about 4 o'clock :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Definitely facepalm moment for me too, turned wing mirror knob to 6 o clock position (non folding mirrors on A3 Sportback), could see the element heating up thru the condensation! Happy Bunny now. Strange no mention in manual for this function.

Definitely facepalm moment for me too, turned wing mirror knob to 6 o clock position (non folding mirrors on A3 Sportback), could see the element heating up thru the condensation! Happy Bunny now. Strange no mention in manual for this function.
My S3 manual states that the mirror control button needs to be in the 4 0'clock "Heating" position but also that heating will only be active below a "certain temperature" (but I can't find any reference to what the temperature is). I think it's a case of over-complicating things; a simple on-off button plus a timer would be ideal, or link it to the rear screen heater. No doubt it's all part of getting the emissions down to a minimum...but it's annoying to have to mess about with the control knob to switch it back to (for example) the mirror lowering function when parking.

I keep moving it to the fold mirrors position by accident (if doing it quickly whilst driving) which is annoying.

My BMW Mini turns the heated mirrors on with the rear windscreen, possibly better but then again you can't control windscreen/mirrors independently. Pros and cons to everything!

Guys, can anyone confirm now, in summer, that the heated mirrors work? I just change the switch on mine but they don't show up in the efficiency program. We have today around 24° celsius

Guys, can anyone confirm now, in summer, that the heated mirrors work? I just change the switch on mine but they don't show up in the efficiency program. We have today around 24° celsius
Mine seem to work anytime as I use them to dry the mirrors as well as defrost them

Oh, ok. No worries, I will open a thread about it but thanks a lot
That thread wasn't helpfull. Does anyone knows if my controo unit is right? I have the part number: 5q0959392a
Some websites says that it supports heating, some says it doesn't. Maybe I need more coding done or idk. All I did was in channel 42 and 52 enabled the "mirror heating" (check installed). Should be something else?

K-electronic (same as Kufatec) says that the door control unit is the right one, supports the heating feature. I did a test through OBD11 without any errors but I couldn't really feel the heat because the test takes like 5-6 seconds only.
And in the "live data" channel I can see that it turns to active when the door knob is in the heating direction but the performance goes to 100% for a split of a second then goes back to 0%
"Opersting condition" always stays at "not_active"
Any tips?
Screenshot 2021 07 22 14 02 03 300 comvoltasitobdeleven
Screenshot 2021 07 22 14 02 13 847 comvoltasitobdeleven

So, guys. Are those the only coding needed?
Or is it because outside is around 28° and that's why is not showing in the efficiency program in DIS? Or it doesn't have to show to work?

So, guys. Are those the only coding needed?
Or is it because outside is around 28° and that's why is not showing in the efficiency program in DIS? Or it doesn't have to show to work?
So, it does work. It just have to be under 20° and then it'll show in DIS efficiency program
I tested with ice on the outside temperature sensor