Heated Mirror Not Working

Ian W

Reaction score
My drivers mirror isn't clearing in the mornings for some reason. I've tried swapping the connectors but its made no difference.

Is there a way you can force it to warm the glass so I can check if there is a current getting to it?

My drivers mirror isn't clearing in the mornings for some reason. I've tried swapping the connectors but its made no difference.

Is there a way you can force it to warm the glass so I can check if there is a current getting to it?

Maybe the heating element is broke, it's pretty common. I think if you have the mirror adjuster set in the middle and hit the rear demister button, they come on manually.

i have had this discussion with an Audi tech....he was saying the middle position turns off the heaters (as i had a couple elements break), although both this car and my T plate A3 had the heaters on all the time regardless of switch position

my heaters are on all the time... adds to great fuel economy !

I dont think there is anyway of turning them off is there ? seem to be on in the summer too...

Got the same problem as you mate, really p**s's me off.

Anyone know how to fix?

Believe the mirror heaters do stay on all the time, eventually causing them to burn out, i think the only option is to get a new mirror glass, to remove the original can be an **** sometimes, as they can shatter, sending broken glass down the side of your car!!!

I have the same problem on mine, just use my hand to wipe it now..lol

hmmm im quite confused about when they operate...

Last night the mirrors came on initially when i started the car but when i checked them again (after 40mins of driving) they were off...

Do they only come on for the first few minutes of driving ?

I always thought they just came on for the first 5 minutes of the car been armed!

Pre facelift cars they come on all the time, and facelift cars have a small bi metal temp switch on the back of the glass that activates at around 5 degress or less, but obviously will switch off when it gets warm.

Its all controlled at the glass so if you really want to you can switch on the ignition and check for voltage with a DVM or a bulb at the two wires in the mirror housing

Mine didnt work so I changed the glass...they work a treat now :)

They're on when the heated rear screens in I think.

im pretty sure there is no link to the rear windscreen heater.... my T plate had them on all the time regardless of switch position or windscreen heater

facelift cars have them come on at 5C or colder (when the snowflake symbol is shown next to outside temperature on the dash) and with the rear de-mister

you sure Kev? im sure mine come on when its warmer than that..... defo not only when snowflake shows