Heated Mirror Issue

TwistedMind

Long Live The A6
Reaction score
Morning All

Heated mirror issue this time. Driver one works fine. Passenger one has no voltage at the terminals.

Are the on the same circuit ?

Where do i start fault finding?

Cheers.

Mind

broken wire in the rubber boot to the door in the a post?

Murran, hope not. Just had broken wires in the boot fixed. will the colour codes be the same in the kick panel ?

I was thinking of testing there first to see if the power is present in the kick panel.

The soldering iron is coming out way to much LOL.

Bit strange now. Have the mirror fully apart. When i now put the ignition on i have constant 12V on the wires ?

Are the heated mirrors always powered ?

Bit strange now. Have the mirror fully apart. When i now put the ignition on i have constant 12V on the wires ?

Are the heated mirrors always powered ?
I believe so, but it may be build date dependent. Audi certainly went through a period of permanently powering the mirrors. I had a '97 A4 that must have gone through at least 3 sets of mirror glasses because they were permanently powered leading to the wires in the glass burning out. Can't recall definitely, but I think both my '00 and '03 A6s were the same, although I did not have the mirror burn out issues

Mine is a 2000, doing some googling they are 12v all the time. the mirror has an integral thermostat. Only active below 12 deg'

What a stupid idea.

Cheap heated mirror from ebay time. Lets see how long that lasts.

I just noticed that my driver side mirror is only clearing half of the glass - how easy is it to remove the trim and get into the gubbinz?

It does seem a bit daft that the mirrors are constantly heated, especially in summer...

2 Screws under the mirror, pop off the bottom trim. put your han inside then pop the glass out. Disconnect the 2 wires on the glass and replace.

Take it easy with the 2 screws. The heads break off easy

Update,

Purchased a mirror from ebay for a tenna. What a mistake. Just a peice of cut class with a electronic heat pad on the back. No thermostat

No wonder they burn out quick. Time to shell out and get a OEM from audi.

Hi all,

I never got round to fixing my mirror, and with the recent cold snap, the mirror has now cracked. There is also a small burn mark on the mirror housing, just next to the start of the crack.

So would I be right in saying that the wires have now properly burnt out? Incidentally, one half of the mirror is still heated. It's possible the crack was caused because of this.

I had a go at removing the housing to have a look, but although I managed to remove the screws no problem, it was proving difficult to remove the lower trim. So rather than forcing it, I just left it.

Would anyone happen to know how much it might cost to get the wiring sorted and a new mirror fitted?

Thanks!

A.

Update,

Purchased a mirror from ebay for a tenna. What a mistake. Just a peice of cut class with a electronic heat pad on the back. No thermostat

No wonder they burn out quick. Time to shell out and get a OEM from audi.

I was considering re-wiring the rear window de-mister switch to the mirrors (like Renault do on a 2002 Laguna for example) via this link:

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Ancidently how much is a genuine OEM mirror from Audi? I think maybe an eBay one may work well with the re-wiring to the rear window switch, lets face it in the UK how often does the temperature go above 12 degrees C? I may try this mod when I get my A6 back on the road in a few weeks.

Amimm, you don't have to replace all of the wiring. Just cut off about 2 inch of the wire. Normally there is a lot of carbon buld up on the insite of the cables. And get rid of the rubbish spade connectors. Directly solder the mirror to the cables.