Heated Front Windscreen

Freddie2112

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to have a heated windscreen? (New screen required I know)

I had one in my Mondeo ST TDCI and it was really handy but on the other hand if its awkward to do or expensive then scrapper and Di icer it will be ha!

I have an B8 Audi A4 avant 3.0 TDI (240BHP) by the way just in case this matters.

I believe Ford own the "rights" to the technology so they patented the idea so it costs money for other companies to use that idea, not 100% sure thou.

I see no option on a B8 for heated screen.

Agree, I miss the heated screen that was on my Mondeo. Would have thought the Germans found a way of developing another heated screen which does not infringe Ford's rights..?

I would love this and would pay good money! On a similar topic has anyone noticed there appears to be some sort of heating on the windscreen were the wipers park that must be electrical cause it works pretty quickly when scrapping the windscreen

I would love this and would pay good money! On a similar topic has anyone noticed there appears to be some sort of heating on the windscreen were the wipers park that must be electrical cause it works pretty quickly when scrapping the windscreen

Have not checked my A4. I once had a Lexus IS200 which had a heating element built into the front screen where the wipers sit. This was to stop them sticking in cold weather.

The Ford patent doesn't appear to be such an issue in the aftermarket. Heated screens are available for most rally cars - I've a heated screen in my Opel Manta track car from these guys:
UroGlas - Heated Glazings
(sure others are available too)

We had a group buy and they came in at £110 each with a minimum run of ten if I remember, but that was getting on for 10 years ago now and they dont come much simpler than Manta screens. I suspect with option on the B8 such as auto lights, wipers, acoustic glass etc thing could be considerable more expensive!

The B8's an unlikely rally car so I doubt they've any off the shelf, but they may be interested if enough people are interested and you dont mind the aftermarket aspect.
The heating elelment is separate on the Left and Right sides requiring a 30 Amp relay for each side - simple enough, old fashioned wiring.

Ian

Last edited:
I believe Ford own the "rights" to the technology so they patented the idea so it costs money for other companies to use that idea, not 100% sure thou.

Both Land Rover and Mini use heated front screens too, so I am not entirely convinced Ford own the patents outright on this basis.

Hmm land rover are owned by ford, mini on the other hand being owned by BMW not sure about that one

Google seems to say that the wire-embedded-in-the-screen technology was owned by Ford, they did grant limited licences to select competitors such as for use on the BMW etc.. but it looks like they have lost the patent or it expired?

Hmm land rover are owned by ford, mini on the other hand being owned by BMW not sure about that one
Land Rover are no longer owned by "Fraud". Indian steel tycoon Ratan Tata purchased Land Rover in 2008. Land Rover come under the umbrella of Tata Motors Group.

I have a heated screen in my Vw sharan 05plate. It's the one with the wires embedded through the screen.
So if VAG have done it once! :) To be honest, my butler pre-warms and defrosts my car!

Reactions: CHEZ
The VW Sharan and Ford Galaxy was the same car and was a joint venture between Ford and VW, hence why it has the heated windscreen..

The heated front screen is a factory order option on the Skoda Superb and is identical to the Ford set up.
If Skoda use it, why not Audi...... brilliant idea, must be down to politics I guess.
this is correct

Recall seeing that the VW Passat had a "wired" heated front screen option 3-4 years ago when I had a brochure.

What about running an extension lead from your house and wrapping your screen with a heated bed blanket? May be difficult when not at home. I would suggest a generator for this.
Dragons Den - Here I come!

The VW Passat 2007 shape has the option to have a heated front screen. Never seen one until my friend turned up with it, now I've seen about 5 of the ****** things (with work)
The VAG group do offer them for some vehicles....

The Ford patent doesn't appear to be such an issue in the aftermarket. Heated screens are available for most rally cars - I've a heated screen in my Opel Manta track car from these guys:
UroGlas - Heated Glazings
(sure others are available too)

Hello,

has somebody asked from these guys about B8 windscreen?

Check what the sweeds have on their options list.
Volvos and the like up there can get heated screens and I'm 98% sure the sweed and danes can have heated screen options in their cars. But most of them have aux heaters plugged into the garage anyway.

Thanks, will check. I have aux heater aswell. This helps a lot when starting to drive. But in certain conditions trobles start during the drive. Like -10C° or colder and constantly snowing. Other option is to blow too hot air too much but this can get annoying.

http://www.audi.se/content/dam/ngw/se/2015/pdf-modellbroschyr/A4_533.1153.40.37.pdf
The above link is to Swedens brochure for the latest A4.
Page 74 - Vindruta, eluppvärmd (Windscreen, heated)
The section is Glasytor (glass surfaces)

I could be talking poop, but if they have it for the latest model in Sweden. They might for the B8 / B8.5.

Scrap all that, It's available on the B9 in the UK too. But I wrote too much just to delete it lol

Yes, 2016 model has it in every region. I guess. Looks like glass with the same parameters as the whole body looks basically the same. But unfortunately you can be sure when you compare them side by side.