Heated Front seats retrofit problems

nevergivup99

Reaction score
Hi , can anybody help , I fitted the heating elements to my front seats , adapted an original Audi a3 seat harness, to connect everything up , fitted a Kufatec harness ,fitted the original heater controls with seat heating modules , used elsawin to check connections , powered up and absolutely nothing, I emailed kufatec, they were as much use as a bike to a fish , they just kept quoting connection numbers that didn’t exist on my heater controls . Does anybody have a way of testing the wiring and what voltages I should have at various points . do I need to enable anything via VCDS?? Any help would be much appreciated

I would refer back to elsewin... Check your fuse connections (there are 2 wires that need to go to the fuse box) and check that you have the right temp sender wire connected.
You can use VCDS to check for any errors which would mean you have a wiring problem... if not then do a measuring block on the seats to see if the canbus is picking up change on the climate unit when you are moving the wheels. Oh yeah make sure u hasn't wired the passenger side wheel to the driver seat lol (remember kufatec are a German company so their driver seat isn't the same side as ours)

Hi ,thanks for that , I looked at the problem again today ,with a fresh head and solved it !!!! It was a missing cable link from terminal 19 to terminal 16 within the plug at the heater control unit .This link provides the power to the common rail to the seat heating regulators. Powered it all back up and it works perfectly well .The information Kufatec supplied on this occasion was wrong , I took my references from Elsawin and all appears well !!

I'm looking to do this mod on my a1 could you give me an idea on ease and cost please

Certainly live up to your forum name nevergivup99 haha, where are you located? As I've got the S3 seats, the loom and the control unit, just no wiring diagrams etc. If you could lend a hand there would defiantly be something in it for you :)

.The information Kufatec supplied on this occasion was wrong

That's the problem it is often wrong & kufatec are crap at helping/supporting the parts they sell.

We offer install services if interested Chris :)

I live in Ormskirk,Lancashire . I would take NHN up on his offer, this task was one of the hardest to achieve ,and would of been so much easier with an experienced helping hand, I was bored and suffer from OCD ,I had spoken to NHN about doing this for me and he had offered, but my work schedule was erratic so could never confirm with him any details. And considering he would be traveling a fair distance ,I didn't want to risk letting him down at the last minute.
The Kufatec harness was a cable missing when it arrived ,so had to modify and given the time again I would have made my own harness up . The wiring diagram supplied by Kufatec referred to a climate control unit and not the heater control unit , when I questioned this with them they just said use the same pin connections as the climate control ??????? Its a good job I stripped the old unit down to check the PCB wiring ,because this confirmed that the drawings on Elsawin were correct and Kufatec were wrong .
The whole task was expensive , I had to buy the heater elements , New heater control, seat harnesses , control modules, main wiring harness's, I don't think I had much change out of £600,but like I said I suffer from OCD, and this sounded like a good idea at the time .
I am pleased with the result but it was hard work . The wiring was the easiest because I am a spark by profession, but stripping the seats down, although not difficult ,it was time consuming,(thank God for elsawin) there are some very fragile, fiddly clips on the seats , and at time I needed fingers like a midwife and several more hands !!!! and of course ,working carefully around the Air bags in the backrest.
Finding seats with the heaters already in would have helped a lot and been far cheaper, but I didn't have the time to find these items so did the next best thing.
Maybe next time I get a good idea I should go and have a cup of coffee and ponder for a while ?????? Damn my OCD !!