Headlights on all time

MartinHudson6

Reaction score
So ive had car in garage during lockdown for about 3 weeks while gave the mrs’ fabia a blast. Been back in mine this week and noticed the headlights staying on constantly. I always leave them on auto function but now moving the headlight switch nothing changes. Can be on “O” “Auto” sidelight or dipped and always have the dipped beam and drl active. Also noticed the knob part of the switch was pushed in. So pulled out but still no changes. When select “Auto” that illuminates to suggest the switch is still working. Im a hgv mechanic by trade and have had similar issue with mercedes trucks fail safeing to put dipped beam on when stalk fails.
Any one had this issue before i locate a spare part to try.
thanks for any help

It doesn't have a daytime driving lights feature on somewhere? I remember I had one in a Merc I used to own but needed to turn off via the dash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T McLaren using Tapatalk

Reactions: MartinHudson6
My drl are active all time with my tear side lights. My issue is that the dipped headlights are on constantly

Might be the car thinks its nighttime hence the headlights being on all the time. Perhaps the sensor cell has failed. Unsure where this parameter is sourced from, either the sensors on the screen by the mirror or the bump in the centre of the dashboard? Others may be able to tell you. The VCDS diagnostic tool measuring the relevant parameter would tell you.

Assuming you have tried all headlight switch selector positions (push & pull for fogs), stalk for flash etc. Just to cycle all options!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Might be the car thinks its nighttime hence the headlights being on all the time. Perhaps the sensor cell has failed. Unsure where this parameter is sourced from, either the sensors on the screen by the mirror or the bump in the centre of the dashboard? Others may be able to tell you. The VCDS diagnostic tool measuring the relevant parameter would tell you.

Assuming you have tried all headlight switch selector positions (push & pull for fogs), stalk for flash etc. Just to cycle all options!

Yes ive tried the switch in all positions i know? Thinking i may have broke the switch by catching it with my knee on way out and thats what pushed the switch itself in a bit. It pulled out ok and i cant force it back in ‍♂️ No error codes etc on my delphi. Will update once sort

Reactions: SBJ

Just an update and to let you know i must have caught a tick box while coding lights. I have just found “day time running lights permanently active” ticked. Which must relate to dipped beam rather than the drl. Drama over

Reactions: SBJ