Headlights, B5 compared to B6

Kenny.s

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you might be able to give me some opinions on this subject.

I've currently got a base model A4 1.8 20v, 99 on a T reg.
I bought it as a stop gap but I've ended up running the car for over a year and it's been pretty much faultless, apart from the headlights! I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking the lights on this model are well below average, i've tried various different uprated bulbs, I even tried machine polished the front of the lenses! but they're still pretty pathetic.

I'd like to get a B6 1.9 TDi Avant Sport, i've been looking for one for a while now but nice ones with sensible miles seem quite hard to find. There are a few potentials for sale just now but I'm working away offshore so will just need to wait and see if they're still available when I get home.

Anyway, one thing I cant seem to find any info on is how the headlights on the B6 compare with my current car?

Any advise or opinions much appreciated

Cheers

Kenny

I can't really give any info regarding how the B6 lights compare to B5, but there does seem to be a lot of people who still say the B6 lights are crap, and hence why they often fit HID's. Look for some of the HID fitting threads, and i'm sure people in them posts will have commented on the OEM lights performance.

I don't think they're the greatest, but they're a world better than my old 306 I had, so i'm not the best to comment ha!

out of the 2 id say my HID's on the B6 were just as good as the OEM Xenons on my B5 but overall appearence its got to be the B5.
Im taking it you havnt got Xenons on the B5??? The B6 before I changed them to HID's were aweful IMO hence why I changed them quick. I havnt driven behind B5 standard headlamps on the road up so cant really comment on that.

my lights where crap till i put HIDs in now all is goooooooodddddd

It's threads like this that keep convincing me to get some HID's in mine! I keep putting it off, due to all the auto-levelling etc, but think I may just do it. Where we live now is not vibrant in street lights, and quite a tight street. It'd be worth it for my street alone, as I really don't fancy bumping cars or running a kid over. (or perhaps i'm just trying to convince myself, ha)

i have to say as will many on here with them and not self levelling i did worry about that but to be fair the audi lights are crap so i put the HIDs in it and then took it strate to my nearest MOT place and had them set them up so i was not blinding any one and now i can see again lol

i got some racing type R ones they are not the slim ones and 6000k so a small tint of blue but looks nice i dont get lights out on my car but then i dont have full DIS

Ahhh, well I have full DIS so maybe will do a bit of research as I really can't be doing with bulb out warnings all the time if they mess up. Cheers though!

Cheers for the replies.
So it would appear that they're not a whole lot better than the B5 then? Thats a bit of shame because I would really like to get one. I suppose the best way for me would be to try and get a look at one of them at night, although that doesnt help viewing the rest of the car.
I've had other cars over the years with poor headlights, namely an early Impreza wrx, as a friend of mine once described it, the headlights on this thing light up where you are not where your going lol I bought a conversion kit for it but returned it because the quaility of the kit looked terrible and didnt trust them.

There are so many of these kits available it's hard to know what ones to go for but ultimately they're probably all made in Taiwan!

just buy a b6 and put some HIDs in it job done