Headlights aiming low

rbdazza

Reaction score
At some point over the last couple of days something has happened to my headlights and they are pointing low!

Where do I start looking to sort them out?

I don't think the bio broke them! :)

any ideas? i've attempted a search but all the results seem to relating to individual adjustments.

Your bio-diesel was obviously possesed by a demon that escaped into you lighting system and is now wreaking havoc there ;)

Just to check they havent been put into european driving mode by mistake in your MMI ?? ( From memory: Car > Exterior Lighting > Headlamp Convertor )

i dont think so but will check. it is strange. i remember them being fine since i have had the car. left my grans out in the sticks on saturday night and noticed it straight away. they are pointing straight at the floor right in front of the car, had to drive 200 miles back with them like that too

No eu mode. There is a headlamp converter setting which was on. If I turn that off they rise slightly but not sure how much as it's not that dark yet.

Interestingly as I drove up the road they randomly raised high then dropped straight back down!

IMG 0130
IMG 0131

Top image is with converter off and lower one with it on

My converter is always on and has been. I thought that was to adjust aim based on how high the nose of the car is?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think something is wrong with the auto leveller maybe. Not sure how to diagnose

Where about is that? You know. I had a ****** rear tyre changed on Saturday!!!

Its on the passenger side rear lower arm. Its a pain in the **** to see if the car has s-line suspension. but here is a pic of what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Don't think my car has auto level suspension

Well ****** it was my rear lpassemger tyre changed. I'll have to have a look and get one ordered. Yes s line suspension. Dunno if I have bi xenons??

But I think I do as when I start the car they come on go up down up again then level out

But I think I do as when I start the car they come on go up down up again then level out
Do u have led daytime running lights? If so then u have bixenons

Yes I've got led drls

I'll have to get the wheel off and take a look

Hopefully duct tape or the mig can get me sorted, failing that a call to tps I suppose

Cheers fellas. I'm working at home tomorrow so will whip the wheel off and have a look on my lunch break

Reactions: Buxton2901 and EXSpartan36
The ' headlight adapter ' option should be off for normal uk driving, when selecting 'on' it drops the headlamp aim by a small number of degrees so that the left hand section ( with the higher cut off ) of the beam pattern is lowered to approx level that of the right hand side under normal driving conditions.

This operates in conjunction with the self levelling headlamp aim. It can be useful to use the headlamp adapter in foggy condition to use this to help to cut down the 'white out' sometimes experienced in certain misty/foggy conditions.

@rbdazza it could well be that when the car was jacked up fully at the rear side it has fully extended the suspension travel and caused an issue with the levelling sensor or linkage just as @EXSpartan36 said.

yup, its broke. looks like the plastic gubbin thats connected to the lower arm has snapped! gonna ring TPS now to see what the damage is (and whether I need to try and bodge it!)

£130 for the whole thing, i want some of what they are smoking!

IMG 0135
That's what I thought. Don't worry I've fixed it anyway

Reactions: EXSpartan36, gary_a4_quattro and Buxton2901
lol, not my neatest work i must say!

i'm going to look out for a second hand one. its obvious why its failed; where the bottom of the arm attaches it is like a semi circle plastic clip that clips on to a ball bearing shaped clip on the lower arm. there was corrosion and it was solid so as the suspension goes up and down eventually it has snapped the plastic bit

My temporary fix seems to have sorted it, for now
IMG 0138

I'm a tight ****** me lol. Needed it sorting as I've got a fair few miles to do this week. The alternative fix I considered was to tape the arm up in the level position which might have lasted a bit longer and wouldn't have caused any problems as I don't tow.

I'll get a replacement soon....

I'm going to check mine soon to make sure it's not broken lol. I've also turned my headlight converter off now!

I would recommend some grease or WD40 on the joins of the linkage as a preventative measure pal.

Happened to me too - all of a sudden both sets of lights ended up pointing at the floor. I was just about to go on hols to France so had to have them fixed.
£120 back on the road.

Check your connectors as well. It seems that the salt on our roads does untold amounts of damage to exposed parts, such as these, when tucked behind the bumper.