Headlight Washers - Standard or not?

mjcourtney

Reaction score
So according to the Audi UK brochure - Headlight washers are a £250 option on all trims with the exception of the S4.

However, looking at some of the photos posted recently by members collecting their cars (@cuke2u and @maui ) it appears that there are cutouts on the bumper for LED / Matrix LED lights, and not for Xenons:

cuke2u's Matrix LEDs with headlight washer cutout:

DSC_0300_zpsjab68ipy.jpg

Maui's Xenons without cutout:

7f123f837514f84258377fd7087b3a8b.jpg

Mine: Matrix LED with washer cutout:

img_2092-jpg.106764

Does this mean that Matrix LEDs do in fact come with headlight washers? It doesn't mention it in the brochure or in the configurator.

(Nice colours by the way - i'm now slightly questioning my choice of black.....)

Last edited:
I have an S line Quattro with Matrix (MY 2017) and it has headlight washers. I don't know what particular part of the spec governs their inclusion.

Reactions: mjcourtney
I think maui's car has led's as standard on a sline. Thus it must be the Matrix versions that dictate having washers, which I didn't know..

Reactions: mjcourtney
Ah - yes well spotted, forgot s-lines had LEDs as standard. In which case yes - I concur, Matrix LEDs also come with headlight washers.

I'm not sure i'm overly happy about that - on the one hand it's nice to get additional equipment, on the other - I hate the fact they spray up the bonnet and inevitably do it straight after you've just spent 4 hours washing the car....:sob:

There are ways to beat that, just do a quick pull on the washer arm. However you'll still end up with streaks on your roof...

On the A3 you have to pull for at least 3 seconds to get anything to spray on the windscreen at all - by which point the lights get washed too. Wonder if they've improved that for the A4?

Ok so they've updated the configurator since I last looked. If you select the matrix LED's now the headlight washer option is also selected.

I've had 2 cars with headlamp washers and I can't say I'd ever spec them through choice. However, I'm a low-ish mileage, social domestic and pleasure driver only, so I probably don't get exposed to the sort of conditions in which they come into their own. If I were an all-weather, high mileage man I'd probably think differently.

I hadn't realised that mine came with headlight washers until it arrived. I had read somewhere that you had to be careful what screenwash you put in them in case it clogged up the jets. That was certainly the case for BMWs and so I figured it might be true for Audis. In the end I bought 4 x 5 litres of VAG Quantum screenwash off Amazon for £29. Although that will last me ages, I'd like to know whether you can in fact use any screenwash. I can't see anything in the manual about it.

Been using Halfrauds screen wash for years in my A3 - never had any issues with clogging either in the windscreen or headlight washers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BeagleKCH
I've had 2 cars with headlamp washers and I can't say I'd ever spec them through choice. However, I'm a low-ish mileage, social domestic and pleasure driver only, so I probably don't get exposed to the sort of conditions in which they come into their own. If I were an all-weather, high mileage man I'd probably think differently.
Same here, my headlamps are never dirty enough to need the washers either...