Headlight washer trigger

Jbradford97

Reaction score
Am I right in saying that every fourth screen wash trigger the headlight washer jets are also triggered?

Or is there an other condition, like the headlights have to be on?

Yes you are correct, every 4th wipe the headlight washers will activate, or at least around the 4th....

You can change this via VCDS and set to a different amount of wipes, mine come on after 6 wipes.

Thanks JRock247

Looks like Basingstoke Audi turned mine off yesterday!
(After the thrid time in for a leaking jet to be fixed under warranty )

All well and good, until it fails it's next MOT for the jet not working

Well that's one way to fix it.....Turn it off! Don't understand why they would turn it off, are they both off?

I would take it back to Audi and get them to re-activate it, it will be an advisory on your MOT but you should not fail for it.

Yep, both not working
They were working fine before I took it in yesterday day.

I can only assume its the staff trying to pull a fast one?

Quite possibly, you never know with Audi!

If you do find out they have turned them off, I would make a complaint.....if you want to go down that route. You never, you may get some compensation but I doubt it.

in conclusion it turns out that on a B8.5 (nots sure about B8), the headlight jets are triggered when
the headlights (dipped beam, not just side lights or DRL) are on and:
1. the screen wash for the tirst time
2. then every 5th time the screen wash is used
3. if the screen wash is held on for more than 2 seconds

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Apologies for my misleading information. I did not realise you had the B8.5, I have the B8 so can only comment on how it operates it washers.

I should pay more attention next time!

no problem, your advice was welcome.
Plus I didn't say it was a B8.5 my the orginal post.

I'd never expect the headlight washers to be activated when washing the windscreen unless the headlights were switched on at the time, is someone suggesting that the headlight washers will get activated every 4 or 5 or 6 the windscreen washers are operated and the headlights have never been on? (B8)

I own a B8 and my headlight washers come on with every 6th wash of my windscreen. Makes no difference if my headlights are on or not. It makes perfect sense that it is setup like that. When you clean you windscreen, it also cleans your headlights.

I own a B8 and my headlight washers come on with every 6th wash of my windscreen. Makes no difference if my headlights are on or not. It makes perfect sense that it is setup like that. When you clean you windscreen, it also cleans your headlights.

I get your logic, ie the headlights will be ready "for action" - but if you are on a long road trip with good enough visibility but slightly wet and dirty road surface, that tank of washer fluid will not last too long, though fortunately the headlight washing function will be halted when the fluid level drops to a certain level to preserve the ability to wash the windscreen.

I've only ever seen my B8.5 wash when the lights are on but now I'm curious. Might have to test this.