Headlight Splitting & Spraying - AKA Joey Mod

Sean_

Reaction score
Lads,

I'm looking to split my headlights quite soon as I want to de-chrome the lights and also de-tango while I'm at it. Just looking for some more advise on this before I go ahead with it, I've trawled the internet and picked the brains off a few members on here already.

Basically I'll be doing the same as t8ups did below on his, mine are OEM xenon's. I've heard the best way to split them is to put the headlight in the oven for a couple of minutes to heat up the glue and use a heat gun to separate the glass from the housing. Once this is done I will be painting the bottom chrome shroud in a satin black colour and then I'll want to paint all the chrome bits attached to the bulbs minus the reflector in a light anthracite colour as I don't want to have too much black on the front.

f6af1c6acd955bbe6ff833f6fa2409a0.jpg

4eb087551a3cdbd7c973ae92cde26a96.jpg

1ed8e9281150e8af205a3a08bac3f2c7.jpg

My question to you guys is do I have to do much prep work before I go ahead with spraying it? Do I need to sand down or prime the chrome bits before I paint them? Has anyone done this modification and can confirm if the plastic chrome pieces are easy to take off? Anything else I've missed that I should do would be a great help as well.

I got some silvertec bulbs and I'll remove the orange cap, not bothered doing the clear corner mod.

Any help would be much appreciated folks.

This is the best How To that I found for splitting my headlights last year CLICKY

You can either key the chrome parts, prime & flat them and then spray them or get some clear plastic primer like U-Pol 20:30 1K Plastic Primer....it's basically spray this on, leave to go tacky (Near enough dry) and spray with paint. But it's not cheap!