Headlight problem on my b7 cab

Fray_b7cab

Reaction score
Hi there,

I feel a little guilty this being my first post and already asking for help!

I have an a4 b7 cabriolet and the other day one headlight bulb stopped working. I thought nothing of it until yesterday I noticed the passenger headlight has come away from where it meets the wing. I am now thinking someone has knocked it whilst it has been parked which has caused the bulb to go and headlight to move.

I loosened some of the torx screws today and tried to push it back but it won't budge. I am hoping I can sort this without removing the bumper and would like some pointers and advise from someone who may know what I can do to fix it as everytime I walk to my car I look right at it and it's driving me crazy! I am wondering if i can loosen it off pull it forward and re fit in back correctly without too much effort!

I have added a couple of photos and would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

Thanks

IMG 4911 IMG 4912

Last edited:
You will need to remove the bumper, there is a screw going into the headlight sideways which is concealed by the bumper. It’s simple to get off though, only 7 bolts. YouTube is the easiest explanation.

Thanks for the message bud. I've watched a few videos on you tube it doesn't look too bad, was hoping there was a way without having to remove the bumper.

Have you any idea how the headlights locate and if there's much chance that it will re fit correctly? I'm worried a bracket might be broken or something but I haven't a clue how the headlights fit to have an idea on why it won't just push back and pop back into place.

Cheers

They are located by 4 torx screws, one top Centre, one top next to the wing (there is a hole in the wing where you access it, one next to the centre grill and one on the side under the bumper. The two fixings on the top edges of the light are high adjustable which sets your vertical position. The other two simply hold where they are done up as they are oversized holes in the headlight.

I think I missed loosening a couple of torx screws when I tried to get it to pop back into position today. I'll try loosening them all and see if it will move around enough to locate correctly without removing the bumper.

I'm hoping there will be enough room to pull it out a little to get it back into its normal position. I suppose if that doesn't work I will have to bite the bullet and remove bumper and take the headlight completely out to check for damage and re fit it.

There must be something stopping it from seating back into its correct place. I can't imagine there is much to get damaged, there looks to be no damage from what I can see.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.