Headlight lens cover replacement

Reaction score
A bird decided to fly past me on the A1(M) at 70MPH and i've ended up with a smashed lens cover. Far from ideal but no panels were damaged and the windscreen is intact.

It does mean that i need to find a replacement lens cover, but i can't seem to find an original on eBay or FB for my B8.5, drivers side.

Has anyone gone through this and have any recommendations for lens cover suppliers? I really don't want to chance it with a random seller on eBay/AliExpress.

20220516 212911

Is the bird okay? ... sorry couldn't help myself :seenoevil:
I always thought they were a complete unit?
Luckily it didn't hit the honeycomb grille, often think how mine would just implode on contact with a fat pigeon or pheasant...

Pretty sure these xenon headlights are sealed units. I had to replace one and they were £700. That’s going back a few years and was done through the insurance. You’re right to be wary of EBay dealers, some look like dismantlers. Avoid breakeryard.com, if you’re tempted, some members are utter charlatans.

Be interested to see what part is new. Only other option would be a local dismantler where parts are stripped, but you can see condition before you buy.

There are a couple of video that show the plastic (glass?) cover being removed with the aid of heat gun, so will go down that route.

@quattrogone the bird is brown bread, unfortunately. I'm fortunate it avoided any panels, the wind shield and yes the grille. Although the grille would have been the cheaper and easier part to replace.