Headlight flickering

Dobby

Reaction score
Last night the left side headlight was flicking off and on every so often then this morning it didn't work at all. Turning my car on then its working again but a slightly yellow colour?

looking at parts online it seems to be one of the gas discharge lamp, is this xenon? if so audi in cyprus were asking for 186 euro for a replacement and I cant believe after 3 years it should need doing?

could this be something else or is my headlight on its way out

It may not be the bulb.

The xenon's use an electronic ballast to "strike" the light to actually turn it on.

You could swap the bulbs over, putting the LH into the RH headlight and see if it lights correctly. If so then the bulb will be ok, and you have a bad ballast.

Handle the bulbs with care (no fingers on the glass) and ensure switched off before removal.

You don't need to fit replacements from the dealers btw, there are plenty of aftermarket replacements out there for both bulb or ballast.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
any recommendation on aftermarket ones?

£130 for the pair. No ballasts, I cant see the Ballast been faulty on a 8V. the ballast either works or it don't. as Raf said, swap bulb from side to side to see if the problem moves, that's the best way to work out if its the bulb or the ballasts.

Trups

£130 for the pair. No ballasts, I cant see the Ballast been faulty on a 8V. the ballast either works or it don't. as Raf said, swap bulb from side to side to see if the problem moves, that's the best way to work out if its the bulb or the ballasts.

Trups
ok perfect will give it a try and if not come back to you thanks :) you know if theres a guide for replacing them?

also will the osram be similar colour to what i have now?

ok perfect will give it a try and if not come back to you thanks :) you know if theres a guide for replacing them?

also will the osram be similar colour to what i have now?

The ones you have now are 4300k, the CBi is 5500k so whiter in colour with no Blue.

Its a headlight out on a 8V as there is little space these days to change stuff.

Trups

The ones you have now are 4300k, the CBi is 5500k so whiter in colour with no Blue.

Its a headlight out on a 8V as there is little space these days to change stuff.

Trups
Ok thanks for the help,

Do you ship to cyprus?