Headlight Fitting Basics

wolfm4n

Reaction score
Hi there , i was trying to reply to the great writ up by gupsterg about fitting and aligning headlights .... but cant .... it says its " spam like or contains inappropriate elements "

I wonder if you , or anyone else , can help explain to me how the 3x bolt/spacer system works for installing the headlight units themselves ?

I need to put the two headlights back into a 2008 A6 , that i didnt take apart and i cant for the life of me figure out how the system works to adjust the gaps and lock the headlight units in position .

Every time i try to screw the headlight in .... the L/h thread spacer thing just unscrews .

Ive tried searching , but i keep drawing a blank .... pulling my hair out here , and i'm sure its really straightforward ..... but , everything seems to be all about beam alignment , or xeon conversions .... i need an idiots guide to basic getting them in place and looking nice before i attempt the bumper install .......

cheers , Ian

I think it's just trial and error to get them aligned and then use Gupstergs guide for what the gaps should be.
There should be enough friction between the lug on the lamp and the adjuster to allow you to tighten the bolts though.

Hi Simon , it probably will end up just being trial and error .... I just thought that the way its been so elaborately designed that there was a reason / procedure ... ahh well .

There is no friction between the l/h threaded insert and the main holder ... i can almost just spin it in and out .... i will put a little loctite on them i think .

I will give it another go tomorrow .... aligning the light units is pretty much my last task .... for the moment , till i get the bumper back .

cheers , Ian

There probably is a procedure, these are German cars after all :sunglasses:
I wouldn't put Loctite on the adjusters, you need them to be able to be moved.

You will also need to keep putting the bumper on and off so that you can check the gap between it and the bottom of the lamp.
I couldn't get mine as small as the dimension in Gupsterg's diagram, but it is even, smaller than it was when I started and the fit against the wing at the back edge is better too.