Headlight difference help please

Reaction score
GU7WvM.jpg
T8DlD4.jpg

Can anyone help please.
Ordered my car and was shown & promised lights like the blue car picture but when I went to view, my car has the lights like on the grey car .

Can anyone please tell me why they are different? Am I getting conned? What’s the difference?
Thanks

I believe that the lights on the Blue car (with the 15 segment LED block) are Matrix LED, the other are standard LED.

The pattern of the 15 segment light changes depending on the model of the car

I saw a write up about all the configurations somewhere, this is all I can find at the moment
https://carbuzz.com/news/2021-audi-rs3-will-have-funky-chequered-flag-headlights

If you have a look at the configurator (under Lights), you can change between Standard > LED > Matrix LED
http://configurator.audi.com/acc/co...cTM0UQMDRE8hxD4gwAiI8oQdXUQsA0pAtsQ/equipment

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
GU7WvM.jpg

T8DlD4.jpg

Can anyone help please.

Ordered my car and was shown & promised lights like the blue car picture but when I went to view, my car has the lights like on the grey car .

Can anyone please tell me why they are different? Am I getting conned? What’s the difference?
Thanks

The lights on the blue one are the better Matrix lights but an optional extra . The lights on the grey car are the standard led lights

£430 extra on the S3
Matrix candles a £430 optional extra,now thats ****** cheap...£900 on the Face lift car l bought the Matrix lights for my car as well as a few other options instead of adding them on to my pcp saved me paying interest on the options

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, Sparks43 and pburv
Matrix candles a £430 optional extra,now thats ****** cheap...£900 on the Face lift car l bought the Matrix lights for my car as well as a few other options instead of adding them on to my pcp saved me paying interest on the options

I thought that - £1595 on a Sport Model - Must be to to with the S3 having the new led daytime running lights no not much of an upgrade I suppose

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and Jassyo06
Im assuming these "matrix" type lights operate in the same way regardless of manufacturer, and if thats the case then I can definitely recommend them. :sunglasses:
They are standard on my car and in the 3 months since I bought it I've not tired of watching them work every time I am out in the dark...in fact even the check procedure they do when starting the engine never fails to amuse me. :D

Reactions: pburv
Im assuming these "matrix" type lights operate in the same way regardless of manufacturer, and if thats the case then I can definitely recommend them. :sunglasses:
They are standard on my car and in the 3 months since I bought it I've not tired of watching them work every time I am out in the dark...in fact even the check procedure they do when starting the engine never fails to amuse me. :D

Nope they dont.....BMW's aint as effective as the VAG's mate.....as for the Mercs variations of this type of headlight system l will never find out but i'll take yer word for it they're good.......lol

Reactions: Ron240 and pburv
Here is a demo of how the matrix lights work on the A3 - hope it helps:
Yep this seems to be exactly how the Mercedes system works.
Only slight difference which didnt seem to be obvious from that video is that I can see my LED's individually turning off as oncoming vehicles get closer.
Also he said there are "15 bulbs" which I assume he means 15 LEDs per headlight, which doesnt seem a lot when compared with Mercedes 84 per headlight.
They both work brilliantly though....amazing headlights and highly recommended. :yes:

Only slight difference which didnt seem to be obvious from that video is that I can see my LED's individually turning off as oncoming vehicles get closer.
Also he said there are "15 bulbs" which I assume he means 15 LEDs per headlight, which doesnt seem a lot when compared with Mercedes 84 per headlight.
They both work brilliantly though....amazing headlights and highly recommended. :yes:

yep I made a mistake :) - was supposed to say 15 LEDs. Definitely agree though it is a worthwhile upgrade. I didn't really think I would have much use for them when the car was on order, but having now used them I think I will struggle to go back!

Reactions: Ron240
They've no doubt cut back on the matrix headlight system in the 8y as the total including the main/dipped unit is 2 units, 4 in total per headlight?, the 8y has 4 separate units 1 main/dipped beam unit and 3 independent units used for matrix lighting functions....so 6 independent units 8 if you count the dipped/ main beam the units do a little sequential dance when switched on via the ignition

Easily amused....FOR HOW LONG though? how long ye keeping the CLA....
How long is a piece of string. :D
Seriously though I love it and have no plans at all to get rid of it.
Currently covered 1916 miles in 6 months.
I just checked my app to get that mileage. :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
How long is a piece of string. :D
Seriously though I love it and have no plans at all to get rid of it.
Currently covered 1916 miles in 6 months.
I just checked my app to get that mileage. :)

Using an APP.....*** Yer a Mercedes Millenial noo....lol

Using an APP.....*** Yer a Mercedes Millenial noo....lol
It's just been updated with a festive falling snow theme. :D

Definitely not a Millenial although I wouldnt mind recapturing some of my youth, but unfortunately those days are in my rear view mirror now... :(
Ive just looked it up and apparently I belong to "Generation X" :yahoo:
Screenshot 20201223 193541 Mercedes me

Reactions: Jassyo06
At least you guys get the classy looking projector style headlights with the scrolling indicators, the Sport version only gets the basic LED (2 Leds each side shining on a mirror) and a puny single LED bulb DRL Could be worse, could be halogens!