Headlight adjustment

SM18

Audi A3
Reaction score
hi all,
Adjusted my headlights yesterday so they shine 4ft high at 25ft.. was only getting 1ft high and was shocking how bad they were at night.. but now really good.. I assume they’re still legal and didn’t get any oncoming traffic flashing me from be dazzled.

Just wondering what is correct way to adjust or have I got it right. Only really played around with the up and down setting.. although the side to side setting didn’t really move the light on the drivers side, but did passenger side. I assume that’s because we’re uk and have it angled more to hedge?

I assume if I’ve got it out to much mot will correct it when they test light?

Tips and info would be great

Well if it’s wrong, MOT wouldn’t correct it, they would fail it and then charge you to correct it.

How did you arrive at 4ft height on a wall 25 ft away from your headlights? It sounds way too high.

The correct dip % is 1.0% for the A3 halogen headlights, which means 0.25 ft dipped when aimed on a wall 25ft away. The A3 headlights are approximately 2.5 ft off the ground, so the top of your beam pattern should only be a maximum of 2.25 ft high on the wall.

Reactions: KenL
4ft high sounds like the are pointing up!

Suggest you get them set professionally.

Well the guys I use for mot usually decent and don’t mind a few tweaks free of charge.. I just rang round a few garages, and looking online was all pointing to 4ft I did feel it was high tbh... I will adjust them down to 2.25 tonight and try that.. thanks for the info..