Headlight adjustment cog

DarkSideOfTheMoon

Reaction score
Hi guys, MOT failed on headlight aim too low, turns out the adjusters are broken. The plastic cog isn't attached to the metal shaft because of corrosion. I can now push the metal shaft in and out and the headlight moves about . Is this because it needs the cog to keep it in place or is it that the ball joint part has fallen out? I thought turning the cog adjusted the aim not pushing it in and out? Anyone got a cheap fix for this, I know the headlight assembly is expensive. Cheers

do you have the xenon headlights with auto adjusters? I have manual headlights in my S3 most probably after a crash.

Is the assembly flopping about inside the headlight eg the ball joint popped off fro over adjustment.

I wouldn't say it's flopping about but there isn't much holding it where it is and it won't stay pointing high enough without holding the metal part. I'm not sure about if it has auto adjusters, it's a facelift with HIDs, I don't have any adjustment on the dash or anything if that helps

if they are HID - there is no manual adjustment; there are two sensors, one in the passenger wheel arch and another on the rear wishbone which work out what level it is supposed to be at, the rear sensor is famous for corroding and snapping the arm off - which may be why it doesn't know where to point.

I would have thought the MOT guy would point out if they are supposed to be auto adjusted and highlighted a faulty sensor.

7183340439_43bc45a57b_c.jpg

This is what I am on about. I thought the sensors were for adjusting for load in the car and you still have to set them to some sort of level. This metal shaft now turns freely and also won't hold the aim high enough without moving back in. I can push it in and out, it's not exactly flapping but it won't stay put, turning it doesn't seem to adjust it.

looks like someone has tried to override the motors - do you have the motors still?

these plastic adjusters get ruined if over adjusted and they don't hold the position without a cog with friction - I have had to araldite one back on again.

I have no interior level adjuster in my Mazda it sweeps up / down and then levels out - the same with my Jag a few years ago. if I add stuff in the boot then it works it out again.

Pull the shaft out as far as possible , wrap a small cable tie around it so it just nips up , go back to the test station and pull the shaft out once more until the aim is correct , shimmy the cable tie along until is just touches the headlight casing and pull the cable tie home tight .
Speaking from experience :D

Reactions: SamHendry, Slammedorion, Stuart B and 1 other person
Pull the shaft out as far as possible , wrap a small cable tie around it so it just nips up , go back to the test station and pull the shaft out once more until the aim is correct , shimmy the cable tie along until is just touches the headlight casing and pull the cable tie home tight .
Speaking from experience :D

it beats using a stone or pebble put under the light to aim correctly.

Reactions: S3JACKSON
I ended up sticking a nut on the end and putting as many washers as it needed to aim it right. I hope it's aimed enough for the MOT though! I put slots in the washers so there is some adjustment.

Reactions: Stuart B
Lol this happened to me, needed car for work so emergency repair was drill hole throw spine of m8 bolt then glued it the the shaft,