Headlamp washer jets

bpnike

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Maybe a stupid question but..... do your a3 sportback's with normal headlamps (not xenon/led) came with headlamp washer jets?
My one has the covers on the front bumper but i havent seen them working yet. i have checked if the pumps are installed but could not see much....

I would imagine they wouldn't come with them for the halogen lights as they aren't a requirement. The panel are probably only there to avoid having to make twice as many types of front bodywork!

Reactions: blazedani and SlightlyYapper
Actually some are fitted with washers, seen other chassis with washers on halogens, its not solely with xenons, think its something you can request.

Actually some are fitted with washers, seen other chassis with washers on halogens, its not solely with xenons, think its something you can request.

If I plug Vcds into my car, how do I know if washers are installed?

Pull the stick and see if they pop out? :p

Reactions: TonyH38 and NHN
Urm that's left very open to a reply lmao.

Reactions: cemerson
As above - turn your headlights on then wash the windscreen. Don't worry about not being outside to see them working - you'll know as the bonnet will get covered in spray :)

Oh don't mention headlight washers or you'll have the headlight washer police on your tail

As above - turn your headlights on then wash the windscreen. Don't worry about not being outside to see them working - you'll know as the bonnet will get covered in spray :)

You can always tell when they operate because the headlight beam goes 'strange' for a few seconds.

You can always tell when they operate because the headlight beam goes 'strange' for a few seconds.

Mine goes 'strange' for a lot longer than a few seconds. I noticed a distorted beam for several miles in slow traffic

Mine goes 'strange' for a lot longer than a few seconds. I noticed a distorted beam for several miles in slow traffic

I've only ever noticed any difference in the beam whilst the water is actual being sprayed on to the lens.

I've only ever noticed any difference in the beam whilst the water is actual being sprayed on to the lens.

I'll try and get a photo sometime. It was very strange with the full LED's. I haven't noticed it before with the xenons, apart from when it was actually being sprayed.

I'll try and get a photo sometime. It was very strange with the full LED's. I haven't noticed it before with the xenons, apart from when it was actually being sprayed.

Could it be because the with Xenons the front lenses get quite hot and the water dries very quickly whereas with LEDs the lenses don't get so hot.

Interesting - on our Golf GTI I notice a shimmering on the beam pattern for a few seconds (10-20 maybe) after a headlamp wash.

Interesting - on our Golf GTI I notice a shimmering on the beam pattern for a few seconds (10-20 maybe) after a headlamp wash.

It the system used by VW on the GTI the same as used by Audi on the A3 I wonder. I look at ETKA required I think !!

Mine spray twice when triggered and you can hear the motors going easily, one big spray after the windscreen followed by a smaller one, it does go all over the bonnet/screen and I do notice a bit of a "vertical line" effect going on with the beams after they wash due to the water sitting on them, they don't do it every time though but most times if I haven't used them a lot then first time it will.

Perhaps it's made worse or better by certain screenwash, im just using halfrauds low temp winter gear at the moment although the cold has yet to appear this year.

I would imagine the washer system on our GTI is similar in design to the A3 8V - there aren't that many different ways of doing it really. The little stalks with the washers on get forced out under water pressure and are not motorised themselves. It's the pump that you hear "whizz" and then it pumps high pressure water to the headlamp washers which pop out and spray. The timed relay switches the headlamp washer pump on/off to create one or more sprays.

Our GTI only sprays once (not a double spray) and then waits for X minutes or 5 normal windscreen washes to spray again

Mine spray twice when triggered and you can hear the motors going easily, one big spray after the windscreen followed by a smaller one, it does go all over the bonnet/screen and I do notice a bit of a "vertical line" effect going on with the beams after they wash due to the water sitting on them, they don't do it every time though but most times if I haven't used them a lot then first time it will.

Perhaps it's made worse or better by certain screenwash, im just using halfrauds low temp winter gear at the moment although the cold has yet to appear this year.

I must admit on my 8P I don't seem to get spray on to the bonnet. I tend to use Audi's own screen wash. I have used other types but found the spray onto the windscreen is not so good and the gets have blocked. I assume the GTI still has the fine spray onto the windscreen whereas the A3 seems to stick to the stream of water system.

The viscosity might affect how they wash. This would vary according to how dilute the mix is...