Headlamp washer jets

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Woke up this morning to see the headlamp washer jet sticking approx. 1cm away from the bumper, thought someone may have tried to nick them overnight, then I realised it was the same on the otherside. Now I know these only work when the headlamps are on, and you pull the windscreen washer lever for a few secs at least. Can the cold effect them from retracting all the way back or maybe something is frozen and stopping them going all the way down? I've tried pushing them down, but they are both stuck.

water expands when frozen so maybe they were push out by the water freezing in the pipes going to them.

bumper off job to re seat

That would be annoying!

water expands when frozen so maybe they were push out by the water freezing in the pipes going to them.

Yeah, I thought that too, but the missus borrowed the car yesterday, she uses up all my washer fluid!

mine weren't sitting right when i got my car in the summer, then the morning after i filled up the washer bottle i went outside to see a massive puddle on the ground and the 5L had pished out onto the drive.

i reckon the system hadn't had enough anti freeze/screenwash in it on previous years cause both headlight washers were nackered and hoses to the boot had split and i think its all cause it froze

defiantly worth keeping a good strong screenwash mixture in there

Yeh mine does it every winter when it gets very cold. They freeze and stick out.

Do they look like these??
Washer.jpg

Washer2.jpg

This happened to mine last year on a very cold morning.
I ran warm water over them until i decided the ice had melted...
Then simple put the lights on and pressed the washer stalk, They returned back to normal place.

Do they look like these??
Washer.jpg

Washer2.jpg

This happened to mine last year on a very cold morning.
I ran warm water over them until i decided the ice had melted...
Then simple put the lights on and pressed the washer stalk, They returned back to normal place.

LOL!, no, not quite, just 1cm outwards that's fully extended! I'm just worrying about nothing methinks, hopefully go back down when the weather warms up!

Jo mine are the same, had this when it snowed last time round, they have always stayed up since then, just about a centimetre up out of the bumper, not flush like they used to be!!!

I too have them slightly protruding on cold days, think it's just the expansion of the ice, always go back to normal once they've defrosted.

Mine is the same. Honestly these factory fitted Xenon lights have caused me more bother than any other thing on the past 3 cars i have owned... If its not an auto adjusting fault, its a headlamp washer fault. They are a pain!! Although this sticky out problem isnt really a problem as such.

Mines stuck the same as yours jojo, and its using 5L of water a day, maybe with them being stuck there not sealing.

The S3's with this problem must be female... peanut hiding !

Mine have stayed where they are for the last few days :( Might go out with some warm water and get them going again!

One of mine has now got stuck about 5mm up and is loosing fluid at quite a rate, Im thinking of going out in a short while to warm it , See if it goes down. was thinking warm water then work the washer stalk, so they come up and hopefully come to rest where they should be

Oh joy.
Ive been out for a play with the headlamp washers... ive managed to make things worse. the cover was soo loose i took it off in the end to avoid loosing it. i tried to work the washers as its finaly made it above 0 degree here but i can heat the motor but no signs of either washer lifting or spraying , Im guessing the larger hose to the lamp washers has frozen. This will be alot bigger pain to warm up.
Oh joy, this and man flu... not a happy camper

Hi guys

My off side has just started doing the same (1cm out) :( Thought it was frozen, so I poured some luke warm water over the bumper, made no difference. Have tried it to see if the near side one still works and nothing, I can hear the selanoid clicking inside the car when i hold on the screen wash on (lights on), but can't hear the pump ....... hope i haven't broke it!!

Dave

Edit : Have just noticed this is my first post :D I have a Red 2001 facelift S3 with APR software (changeable via cruise control) and panel filter. Had it 8 years in January!!

Dave check the fuses, they can blow when you try to spray them and they are stuck coz of the ice.

Oh and welcome to the site.....get some pics up of the car.

I've have a full concentration of washer fluid in mine and had no problems, only time my screen wash didn't work was when it was down to -10.

Dave check the fuses, they can blow when you try to spray them and they are stuck coz of the ice.

Oh and welcome to the site.....get some pics up of the car.

Cheers. Do you know which fuse it is? Are they to the right of the clocks? Can't remember :banghead:

:rock: This taken about 5 years ago, its still the same, plus snow of course ;)
IMG_1024-2-1.jpg

Dave

Sorry to thread drop. When the headlight washers come up when they are frozen do they drop the screen wash if they stay up? Dont know if that makes sense!!!!

Sorry to thread drop. When the headlight washers come up when they are frozen do they drop the screen wash if they stay up? Dont know if that makes sense!!!!

I think they leak buddy, judging by other posts.

And Dave, my what good taste in cars you have sir ;)

Absolute Ftw!

Mine has dropped all the screen wash in two days, haven't even used it. Not sure where its coming out from, as there is not any of sign of screen wash on the bumper?

I think they leak buddy, judging by other posts.

And Dave, my what good taste in cars you have sir ;)

Absolute Ftw!

LOL. Whats FTW?

Could you PM me where you got the LED side and number plate bulbs from please, also do you need to fit resistors?

Thanks
Dave

For the win Dave. Will pm once I've found the eBay link chap.

Never fear Audi drivers - we're not the only brand to worry! I give you the Subaru's washers;

52456769-3565-7f36.jpg

I have this problem too,

might take it apart and see if i can fix it

Im good mate, hope you are too, not seen you on here or out and about for ages.

As for Jo, he won tue lotto became a millionaire and got a load of KFC buckets and got another S3 with what was leftover......lol

I reckon my fuse has gone Mike as mine don't work now but are flush with the bumper again!! ***!

Woohoo! Mine are back! Quick fuse change (number 33, middle of the three lower rows, 3 down)!