Headlamp issue

Ryan s3

Reaction score
Hi,
I had issue recently where my headlamp would only come on if you switched the switch on/off a few times but now it does not work what so ever, Not bothered me through summer as I don’t drive at night.
My local ECP supplied a new lamp but it has none of the electrical boxes on the back of the lamp which I believe is called the ballast and I think that is my issue.
I called TPS to enquire but they can only supply the whole unit at £700 + vat - ouch !!
Any help or guidance would be appreciated!
Can the ballast etc be brought separately?
Does any body have any parts for sale
Thanks in Advance
Ryan

Get aftermarket headlights and ballast from @tr8ups or second hand ballast of eBay

I would give serious thought to anything aftermarket. Especially on units. Pm me for more info.

I would give serious thought to anything aftermarket. Especially on units. Pm me for more info.
the lights @t8ups make are 100x better than standard and a lot on here will recommend them have a look at the two group buys that were done for £400-500 you won’t find better lights imo

To be honest I did not want to pay out that much and just want rectify the current issue.
It’s the ballast I’m after but can’t seem to find one for reasonable money.
I’d rather spend the money on a front mounted intercooler which was the plan when I brought the car 2 years ago.
But time after time I’ve had expensive repairs to deal with exceeding over 3k now on parts alone as I have done all repairs myself.
My Mrs is always against paying out and calls it THE MONEY PIT

To be honest I did not want to pay out that much and just want rectify the current issue.
It’s the ballast I’m after but can’t seem to find one for reasonable money.
I’d rather spend the money on a front mounted intercooler which was the plan when I brought the car 2 years ago.
But time after time I’ve had expensive repairs to deal with exceeding over 3k now on parts alone as I have done all repairs myself.
My Mrs is always against paying out and calls it THE MONEY PIT
That’s s3 ownership for you try eBay.de or try Audi TT think the ballast are the same but people usually sell with the light

It’s not that much when 2nd hand faded lights can go for £250-300 on ebay

That’s s3 ownership for you try eBay.de or try Audi TT think the ballast are the same but people usually sell with the light

It’s not that much when 2nd hand faded lights can go for £250-300 on ebay
Very true !!!
So the ballast is just not available on its own then ?
Not even aftermarket ?

It will be new google the part number you will find somewhere that sells an aftermarket and just keep trying eBay breakers but the ballast is worth more with the light to them

Last edited:
Just my 2p, Audi TT ballasts are available separately, I used 2x in my W202 for OEM xenon conversion, same as merc ones but pins swapped around lol. But yeah, loads on ebay from TTs, same as 8L ones.

I paid £70 for two, and both were off a late model so loads of life in them.