Head Unit

random101

Reaction score
I know this has been covered a number of times with RNS-E and what not but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with fitting [one of these head units http://www.chinacargps.com/audi-gps-navigation-c-116.html ?

To a pre facelift model? I love the quality of my current Bose set up but would like to make it more iphone friendly?

So if anyone has any feedback on a system like that i would love to hear it :)
I've read through http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21648

But i was hoping to get some more feed back for 99-00 s3 8l to see how people fitted it and if it sits nicely?

iphone friendly you mean a jack plug ? An A4 RNS-E is the way to go :thumbsup:
have you got a double din at the moment ?

It's the one with the volume button in the centre and cd stacker in the boot I'm pretty sure that was the single din will need to confirm

Last edited:
"Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standardized."

Untitled.png

Can anyone recommend the best fitting single din? or if possible 2 din units?

What I am after is a nice good quality screen, GPS (preferable), iPhone/ iPod connectivity and no lose in quality.

There has been mention that the Bose sound system is crappy, but i think it's absolutely fine So may be interested in getting a bigger sub ?

Thanks guys!

Your year of car doesnt show up as having a double din chassis possible to retain the stock look, thats not to say you cant mod this to work with an 01 onwards version, its a fair bit of work as the climate unit changed & so did sensors & wiring.

Facelift part like climate are not plugnplay, I know this for sure no matter what anyone tells you, although there was a half facelift in 2000 but doubt shared same wiring on an older style climate.

I would suggest a single din flip out/motorised screen head unit mate, as given I've messed with the S3 of your same year center console as had mine for 7 years, its not worth it unless your confident to take it all apart & modify everything.

Cheapest & easiest option for you mate.

Last edited:
Cheers, I thought the same when i looked into it in a bit more detail..

Now i just need to find a model that has all the options i need