Head gasket?

S

Scottamdaddy

Hi I’m hoping you guys may have some ideas

Last year 2018 the car overheated suspected water pump failed. This year 2019 I have just spent £440 on a new cambelt and water pump. Apart from a bearing on the auxbelt tensioner the water pump hadn’t failed.

The garage said when they was bleeding the system the first 2 times engine temps hit 98c so they stopped let it cool down and on the third time it done what it should.

I had heating it was great. Last night the car felt odd but nothing to identify anything. Plugged in vcds and took the car for a drive. I had no heating at all and the car once again over heated.

I have mayo on the dipstick and the filler cap. Suspicions was that it was just condensation but now I’m thinking gasket has a split between the coolant and oil jacket.

Thoughts?

I would change the oil cooler, a common failure on these cars.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Would this cause the coolant to stop flow and mix water in the oil ?

If its leaking coolant into the oil then it's losing pressure and won't circulate. Head gasket will give similar symptoms but the oil cooler is a very common failure, easy to change and inexpensive compared to doing the head gasket.

Nice I’ll do that next then thanks buddy appreciate your help

Glad to help, let us know how you get on.
Remove the oil filter, then there's a 24mm nut on the oil feed tube, remove that and the oil cooler will drop down then remove the two coolant hoses, now you can remove the oil cooler.