Head Gasket Symptoms?

Pete20vt

Supermoto Junkie
Reaction score
I have a very light misting of custard on the oil cap, some small dark specs in the header tank (no custard) and my coolant temp gauge was like a yoyo today. Am i looking at the start of head gasket failure?

Last edited:
I've got mayo in the filler cap, thought it was normal this time of year as I only really do short journeys, so car never warms up completely. Nothing in the header tank and no major temp issues though, I would get it checked mate.

Yeah i figured a bit of mayo was normal from the winter but the temp gauge threw me today, fingers crossed, will get it looked at.

If your temp gauge is up and down a bit then it could be the coolant temp sensor on its way out... have a word with Bill about getting it scanned for faults mate...

<tuffty/>

I've got mayo in the filler cap, thought it was normal this time of year as I only really do short journeys, so car never warms up completely. Nothing in the header tank and no major temp issues though, I would get it checked mate.

mine i same mate only when the car is cold it has a little mist of cream when warm it goes got told its just in a morning thing lol

Ok so back in January i fitted a new genuine Audi thermostat which solved the problem instantly. But its now come back this week! My temp needle stays cool for ages then suddenly goes to temp. Could the new thermostat be shot already? Or could it now be the coolant temp sensor?

I fitted a new genuine thermostat because my temperature was staying low only randomly getting to 90 and stayng there for a couple of minutes but mainly really low. It solved it but a year later it did it again, exactly the same symptoms, staying around 70 and every now and then getting up to 90. So I changed the thermostat thinking it was broken already. And it was the sender!!

Oddly the symptoms of the thermostat and temperature sender were exactly the same, understandably that threw me off a bit.

Thermostat change - 1 hour
Temperature sender - 5 minutes, because I couldn't pull the connector off.

i think my car has this same problem - i'll try the temp sensor!

Yup the green one, passenger side with plastic clip. Pull clip, pull sensor, remove electric plug, fit new sensor in reverse order. New clip is a few pence, prob worth getting although it wasn't in any way tight in mine and came out fine.

Coolant doesn't come out when you do this so take out the sensor then remove the plug, took me a few minutes of failing to pull the connector with it in situ to try this.

Sensor is exepnsive, like £25 genuine but i've heard generic ones can just cause the same problems.

worth scanning the engine and instruments for their respective temp readings.
CTS is likely playiing silly buggers

Yup the green one, passenger side with plastic clip. Pull clip, pull sensor, remove electric plug, fit new sensor in reverse order. New clip is a few pence, prob worth getting although it wasn't in any way tight in mine and came out fine.

Coolant doesn't come out when you do this so take out the sensor then remove the plug, took me a few minutes of failing to pull the connector with it in situ to try this.

Sensor is exepnsive, like £25 genuine but i've heard generic ones can just cause the same problems.
Thanks, have changed these before so will do that.

worth scanning the engine and instruments for their respective temp readings.
CTS is likely playiing silly buggers
Cheers Bill, will swap the sensor and see what happens. If i still have problems i'll have to come see you.