Head Gasket Gone?

rjtyrell

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can help me with some advice. Completed a service on my A3 1.6 2004 last Sunday and had mayo on the filler cap and in few pipes. Now one of the pipes had been torn by Audi on the last service and I had only just noticed this - had been tapped up.

I was hoping as air and moisture would have been coming through this this was the cause as my water level is still where it has been for along time.

I have replaced the torn pipe and after a 120 mile trip doing 80/85 on Sat I still have a new build up of mayo. Thought this would have evaporated any moisture.

Now the oil still needs topping up from the service.

Can anyone give me a list of issues that might be causing this - I want to check all the cheaper ones first before a head gasket gets replaced.

Thanks,

Richard

best way so you know go get a preasure test

Garages usually have a dye they can stick in the water to check as well, but you do need it testing properly.

i would get it tested bud ive seen "mayo" in a few cars but it turned out to be nothing but just for peace of mind get it checked out

You could try leaving car overnight for oil to settle. Then in the morning drain a little oil off at the sump and check for water. Any water should have settled at the bottom as the oil floats.
I don't think you have anything to worry about though, a little white stuff is normal (and where would the water be coming from? coolant level is steady).
You could however check the o'ring at the top of the dipstick and that the oil cap is sealing.