Head bolt torque...

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Just finished putting the Auuuuuds back together :yahoo:finally! . . So pleased to have her back after almost three months :laugh:

When I torqued up the head bolts I swear auto-data said 40nm, 90deg + 90deg... Now I'm home I've noticed a bit of paper that came with the head kit that says 40nm, 60nm, 90 + 90.

Car's driving fine, just wondering if this is anything I should be worrying about or am I good to go for a proper drive tomo!? :racer:

Lewis

Reactions: Prawn
Its 40nm, 60nm then 90 deg plus 90 deg...

Sequence is
TORQUEARP.png

But.... go round twice on the torque stage so 40nm, 40nm then 60nm, 60nm before doing the final 90 deg + 90 deg else the bolts won't be at the correct torque before doing the angles...

You will find the middle bolts can almost go another 1/4 turn after the first pass at 40nm

<tuffty/>

All of this is assuming OEM bolts were used.

If Elring or similar used then follow their instructions which are 40/60/ 90 90 as stated.

I'd much rather slowly walk the head down that oik it down straight away, and tbh the tightness will , or should, end up the same as the stretching process is still strting from 60 NM

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys... Obviously a fair bit discrepancy in opinion there.

I think I'll leave it as it is for the mo. Longevity shouldn't be too much of an issue for me, if all goes to plan she'll be my weekend car soon and if she's VERY lucky I'd imagine the head will be coming off for pistons/rods at some point :eyebrows:

Although I may decide to whip the bolts out and re-torque some new ones in at a later date, we'll see...

Thanks again gents!

There seems to be controversy over wet installed i.e if the bolts are lubed up or go in dry as that will effect the 90 + 90
dont forget from 40 to 60 on a torque wrench will be about 5mm and unless using an angle gauge the 90+90 will be very subjective??

Always install wet for consistant friction .Also always use an angle gauge imho. We make sure the actual tension is very similar after its had the 90s using a facom angle /torque device. It's the only way to make the head consistently tightened.

Reactions: s3dave
I used arp bolt lube under the heads of my bolts.
Can't remember what I did mine to now....rushing off to my thread to see what I did. Paranoid now

Reactions: Broken Byzan
So is Correct ?
Wet bolts first stage 40nm leave 5mins then 60nm leave for 10mins then add 1/4 turn (90d) Then let settle for say 30mins before a Final 1/4 turn ?

Go round twice at 40nm, twice at 60nm then 90 + 90... No need for settling time just send it... Bolts go in dry... No lube

<tuffty/>