HD TV's

Reaction score
Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but my tv is on it's last legs and I am considering buying a 42". The problem is I don't understand some of the details...so being a lazy ****, I thought I would use the wealth of knowledge on ASN.

Firstly, I am looking at a Panasonic plasma...is this a good idea considering I don't have a games console (nor considering getting one), are not considering plugging the laptop to it very much and will mainly use it for tv/dvd viewing?

I currently have BT vision, but will consider upgrading to to HD tv and DVD later.

Secondly, what are the following and what do they mean, plus should I be looking for better ratings:
- 1080p24 Support
- Frequency/Herz 60
- Contrast Ratio 20000:1

Is there anything else I should be looking out for other than full HD ready?

Cheers :uhm:

avforums is very good, but you might also get a better response in the AV,Home Cinema forum....

avforum.co.uk is an excellent source of info on all things like this, if your looking at a particular model do a search on this on there.

1080 refers to the number of vertical pixels on the tv panel, often now called "full hd", most earlier "hd ready" tv's were 768 pixels which is also what I believe Sky HD is broadcast in. Blueray players will play in 1080 though so you get the sharpest picture possible with current technology.

Frequency 60 hertz refers to the frequency the picture is refreshed at, the higher the frequency the sharper moving objects will be eg motor racing or footie games

Contrast ratio refers to how bright the whitest pixels can be compared to how dark the blackest pixel can be. Its an odd one to explain but basically the higher the number the greater the range of colours that can be displayed. Blacks are a real issue for flat screens to display so the higher the contrast ratio the better dark colour handling in particular will be.

I bought a 40" Sony W series LCD before xmas and only just got an HD source when my Virgin TV was installed recently, saying that I only get BBC HD, great for the Euro's though!! Its no bother having a non-HD input source like a standard DVD player, the quality of the tv will make viewing better than on a normal tv anyway!

if your asking those type of questions I think you'll be fine in pretty much any mainstream LCD/Plasma screen.

At the end of the day, its all tech-talk, and unless you are gonna stare at your screen to pick out the blackness of your black, or analyse the contrast ratio versus another comparable TV I'd go buy the one you like the look of! ;)

If your going from an old crt to a new screen whatever you get will look impressive.

FWIW, I got a Sony Bravia and love it. Excellent engine. In fact others that have seen that have bought the same when they came to it without any more promting from me.

I purchased a Panasonic viera 42" plasma and its excellent

Another vote for the Panasonic Plasma, I have a TH-37PV500B Viera that's about 2 years old and a 6 month old Toshiba 40XF355D LCD. There both very good pictures, but the Panasonic is the more natural looking of the two.
The Panasonics do generally get good reviews and occupy the top two positions in Stuff magazine.

I didn't think Pioneer made LCD's yet but the Plasma's are about the best. You need to decide a budget and what you want to watch, DVDs Sat etc. Also really consider the size, I would have thought 37" would be fine for most, I would look at some of the thin bezel toshibas, these are going very cheap at the moment, if not Panasonic would be my next choic followed by Pioneer if money wasn't much of an issue.

Panasonic are currently doing a 5 year warrenty on some of their plasma models (at particular dealers). I've just picked up a 37" one and it's very good

Pioneer without doubt produce the best Plasma TV on the planet. Followed closely by Panasonic.

My mate does lots of contract work for Panasonic and he agrees. Check out EISA for a review of the latest models.

I agree with the last poster about Pioneer Plasma panels, they really are very, very good, but come at a price.

The originator of this thread didn't sound like he cared for the 'ultimate' in picture technology, so i would personally Recommend the Samsung R87/88. Gloss black finish, durable LCD panel in either 720/1080p. I've got a 37" 720p in my bedroom, and after tinkering around with the settings i get an awesome picture of bluray/dvd and SD tv. It's competitively priced too

Also, John Lewis do price matches and do a standard 5 year warranty on all the TV's they sell

got my pioneer plasma couple years ago now, love it, have a techno geek mate, he thought i had hd subscription picture is that good.

John Lewis warranty is not that great on Plasma/LCD panels. They will only replace dead pixel panels if there if 5-6 in a one square inch section of the screen. So if you have a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, they wont care. You're best off paying for currys/comet extended warranty.

Your mate can't be that clued up if he can't tell the difference between a SD and HD broadcast. While the Pioneer is good, SD pictures still look pretty pixelated because of their resolutions. HD Broadcasts in 720p look worlds apart from SD broadcasts, regardless of the panel showing it.

Agreed that the upscaler is seriously good, especially on the newer screens. The girlfriend's dad has both a 42" Plasma from 2-3 years ago, and a new 60" Pioneer Kuro, the Kuro looks mighty impressive on SD, and HD obviously looks even better. On the older Pioneer there is a clear difference though, SD broadcasts are much less detailed and HD is way better, no doubt because the technology has advanced greatly in the last year or two.

I purchased a Panasonic viera 42" plasma and its excellent

My brotehr has just got himself a 32" and a mate has just got the 42". Superb telly's. I've always had Panasonic tellys and they've always been excellent. Current on in the living room is a Grundig 32" but we were given it and it'll do untill I get my bonus which is being spent on this seeing as I get a 25% discount through work.

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/th42px80b

:hubbahubba:

Thanks a lot for this. I think I need to set myself a budget, then have a look at the different models. The reason I was looking at the Panasonic is because it is highly rated within Stuff magazine and a few friends and family have them (variying sizes) & love the unit.

Thanks again.