Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

Wow have you seen this, from P/Heads!

kMquCDOr.jpg

TX.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, CHEZ and NevMan
I know, still sounds half decent though

Can’t argue with that, they do sound realistic, but work best when integrated in exhaust system and not pumped fully through speakers. SQ7 and old SQ5 sound amazing

Reactions: paul wev
The new S6 has the RS4/5 petrol engine, fitted with mild-hybrid, so hope yet.

Trivia - Audi announced 20 new models to be announced in '19, including 7 brand spanking (not produced before) new on ******** stilts.

Rumour of a few Q RS’s - RSQ3 and 5 and maybe more

If you think the above is sad, have a look at this, posted on the US S6/7/8 Facebook Group earlier today.
Makes a grown man want to cry :blownose:

Screenshot%202019-05-23%20at%2019.02.17_zpsk4ka9uxh.png

Reactions: Wippers, Evil Derboy and Thundercliffe81
*** what is it with fake exhaust looks. if that is true i don't think i will have another Audi.

Reactions: NevMan
I could imagine fake exhausts when the actual pipe outlet is a considerable distance from fake one, or if there is an obstruction between them (i.e. fuel tank). But they are right next to each other in that picture!

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
Wow have you seen this, from P/Heads!

kMquCDOr.jpg
If you go to 4.00 mins on the Autogefühl Youtube video, Thomas not only shows the underneath, but gives Audi's explanation why 'the fakes', and no, he doesn't buy it either.
Also later on confirms the TDi is all about EU Co2 emissions

However I've heard that the petrol version of the S6 designated for the USA has proper tailpipes. As is usual UK buyers are treated with contempt by Audi...
The Audi media release for the S6 & S7 clearly states the petrol version (RS4/5 engine but now with mild-hybrid) is Rest of the World, not just the US. It is also the same for S4/5/6/7 & SQ5
2.9 V6 tt petrol = proper tailpipes. But, if they are valved, are they really 'proper'.

Last edited:
Well try breathing the fumes out of one, if you go unconscious you'll know why ;-)

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and SMI77
I am actually stunned. I had read comments about "fake" exhaust pipes and was thinking they might be like what I saw on a TTRS which I test drove a while back: The big ovals were part of the bodywork but there was a pipe (or a pair, I can't remember) inside. So the exhaust gasses still went though the oval part. But what they have above is ridiculous. Even though I have no plan to buy a diesel S car, if I were I would think again, just to avoid the embarrassment of having to try to justify why there are blank exhaust pipes at the back.

Will they put fake exhaust pipes on their electric cars?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
More fake exhausts!!!!
Do not appear to be able to find a photo of the rear of the new S4 TDi to see its fake exhaust, but as the engine is the same as SQ5 & S6/S7, should be similar.
Likewise when they update the S5.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
More fake exhausts!!!!
Do not appear to be able to find a photo of the rear of the new S4 TDi to see its fake exhaust, but as the engine is the same as SQ5 & S6/S7, should be similar.
Likewise when they update the S5.

Q5/SQ5 have had these since launch in 2017

Seems to be the trend these days to add styling bits onto cars that actually seem to have no function. Pointing an exhaust down at the ground is likely to reduce noise in a drive by test, may also actually reduce slightly the amount of particulates making it into the air if they are fired towards the road.

Then bounce off the tarmac again skywards, sorry can't see the science in that. It does not make any sense when rival german premium brands aren't doing the same.
Might be the bs Audi marketing use to justify cheap and tacky..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
I am actually stunned. I had read comments about "fake" exhaust pipes and was thinking they might be like what I saw on a TTRS which I test drove a while back: The big ovals were part of the bodywork but there was a pipe (or a pair, I can't remember) inside. So the exhaust gasses still went though the oval part. .....
RS6's also like that. 2 exhaust pipes per side siamesed to look like 2 'D' pipes (left pipe a 'D' in reverse). The oval is actually attached to the diffuser. I looked at that option when going to single pipes on our S4.
Yikes, they're NOT cheap!!!

Then bounce off the tarmac again skywards, sorry can't see the science in that. It does not make any sense when rival german premium brands aren't doing the same.
Might be the bs Audi marketing use to justify cheap and tacky..

Son in law has a brand new 19 plate Merc C43 coupe. 4 lovely shiny exhausts sticking out the back. Fake. Real exhaust goes behind bumper aimed at the ground, just like the pic above.

Its not just Audi.....

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and paul wev
We have always known Mercedes can do tacky ;-)

Reactions: RAF_S7, V6_Man, SMI77 and 2 others
Son in law has a brand new 19 plate Merc C43 coupe. 4 lovely shiny exhausts sticking out the back. Fake. Real exhaust goes behind bumper aimed at the ground, just like the pic above.

Its not just Audi.....

The C43 - is it made in Germany or South Africa and how is the quality & finish c/f Audi?

The C43 - is it made in Germany or South Africa and how is the quality & finish c/f Audi?

No idea on the origin, but it seems pretty well put together. Given my Audi is from Mexico though, so I might not be the best to judge!

and it seems to say the S4 will be petrol again with electric assistance, it’s hard to keep up

Read again ;-)
"Audi already has the A4 and S4 models available on order in Europe where the performance version has switched to a diesel engine. Outside of the Old Continent, the S4 will rely on a 3.0 TFSI engine."

I’m confused about the recent facelift with this video... is there a facelift of the facelift?

https://www.motor1.com/news/351699/2020-audi-a4-walkaround-video/amp/

and it seems to say the S4 will be petrol again with electric assistance, it’s hard to keep up

Read again ;-)
"Audi already has the A4 and S4 models available on order in Europe where the performance version has switched to a diesel engine. Outside of the Old Continent, the S4 will rely on a 3.0 TFSI engine."

Methinks Jsmills was referring to the walkaround video.
That presenter clearly has absolutely no clue about the recent wave of 'S' model TDi's. Not helped by Audi having a petrol S4 on display.
Highly recommend you view this video which is far more professional:

Reactions: Jsmills
Maybe so, but the explanatory text corrects this, plus the site is based in America so this suggests the presenter will only refer to nothing other than cars for the US market.
It was kinda obvious to me..

Last edited:
... the vehicles are at the official launch of the A4/S4, & with EU typical Audi press release registration plates, + same vehicles as in the Autogefuhl video - this is in Europe.
If by explanatory text you mean comments, doubt whether all viewers would read them. Still clearly shows poor knowledge of the trade.

Whatever, not going to split hairs, the text is in the main body within the article, the site is based in the USA. Many articles have been released with their own reviewers using the same cars, presumably invited by Audi.
Obvious once explored, and none too deeply...

Reactions: SMI77