Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

It's "unique in it's segment" because nobody else would dream of doing it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mahog, SMI77, Keef and 1 other person
I guess this is my last S4 then!
I’m on my 3rd,
2 years into a 3 year pcp, on the plus side residuals should be good and I have a 4th year of warranty so could keep it

Reactions: elpeterol and Thundercliffe81
Audi are confused:

"For the first time ever, the Audi S4 Sedan (Combined fuel consumption in l/100 km: 6.2; Combined CO2 emissions in g/km: 163 – 161 g/km*) has a V6 diesel under the hood. The 3.0 TDI engine in the S4 Sedan produces 255 kW (347 hp) and delivers up to 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of torque to the crankshaft. An electric powered compressor provides for strong off-the-line performance; a mild hybrid system enhances efficiency. This combination of power, torque and efficiency makes the S5 unique"

Which is it Audi, or just poor cut and paste...

Reactions: SMI77 and Thundercliffe81
So, here we go at last: formal confirmation of the S4 TDI:
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-s4-sedan-tdi-11549
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-s4-avant-tdi-11550

And it looks like it's put on a portly 150kg and lost 60l in boot space, presumably to accommodate aspects of the new EPC?! But then there's also DPF, AdBlue tank, a little extra weight for the engine... but 150kg? Really?
I'm still in for my lease. The improved MPG will save me a little more money. But don't get me wrong, if I was a buyer I'd have walked by now and, if I hadn't I would have now. I still think it will be quick, at least on the move, just not quite sure how it will go round corners!
Ho hum, at this rate I'll be the only person who will have one!
Beefed-up suspension, front members and heavier dmf...

Audi are confused:

"For the first time ever, the Audi S4 Sedan (Combined fuel consumption in l/100 km: 6.2; Combined CO2 emissions in g/km: 163 – 161 g/km*) has a V6 diesel under the hood. The 3.0 TDI engine in the S4 Sedan produces 255 kW (347 hp) and delivers up to 700 Nm (516.3 lb-ft) of torque to the crankshaft. An electric powered compressor provides for strong off-the-line performance; a mild hybrid system enhances efficiency. This combination of power, torque and efficiency makes the S5 unique"

Which is it Audi, or just poor cut and paste...
Classic Copy/Paste

Reactions: SMI77 and cuke2u
Heavier, slower...wow.

Reactions: SMI77 and cuke2u
....And it looks like it's put on a portly 150kg and lost 60l in boot space, presumably to accommodate aspects of the new EPC?! But then there's also DPF, AdBlue tank, a little extra weight for the engine... but 150kg? Really?...
The extra 150kg and 60l loss of bootspace is partly as discussed in: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cap-removal-tool-location.387896/.
Suspect Audi has raised the boot floor to accommodate the 48V batteries mounted either within the sparewheel well (where the 12V battery is located), or forward of the sparewheel where the tool recess was. Normally a diesel motor is heavier, so that may account for some weight.

...Sad day for S fans. Well, petrolheads in general really.
Nope!!! :)

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
The extra 150kg and 60l loss of bootspace is partly as discussed in: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cap-removal-tool-location.387896/.
Suspect Audi has raised the boot floor to accommodate the 48V batteries mounted either within the sparewheel well (where the 12V battery is located), or forward of the sparewheel where the tool recess was. Normally a diesel motor is heavier, so that may account for some weight.

Nope!!! :)
It's a step backwards mate in my humble opinion only. It's a confusing car or...very very niche. And I don't think the latter was their intention. Doesn't bother me personally, I just think S cars (not SUVs) should be more focussed, Luke warm-hot petrols. With RS being boiling hot haha.

It's a step backwards mate in my humble opinion only. It's a confusing car or...very very niche. And I don't think the latter was their intention. Doesn't bother me personally, I just think S cars (not SUVs) should be more focussed, Luke warm-hot petrols. With RS being boiling hot haha.

The current S's are hardly luke warm, but at this rate they are going to be stone cold - with no buyers!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I just think Audi's focus is elsewhere these days and are not really that concerned about the 'S' cars UK market...

I agree with most comments on here, and to be honest I am tempted by the oil burning SQ5, but let’s see what the motoring journalist make of these engines when they actually get to drive them. Step backwards certainly going diesel, when many other manufacturers are abandoning, but some clever tech.

Just waiting to be shot down by:

a) SUV haters
b) diesel haters (don’t get me wrong, I am currently on the fence as had gen1 Q5 caught up in “dieselgate”
c) anyone else

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and paul wev
As a SUV hater I have often stated before that, because of a SUV's sheer bulk, a diesel engine is better suited as it is more than likely they will be able to obtain the emission and mpg targets set by the EU.
But not in 'S' cars or estates....

Reactions: Simonwhite2000, NevMan, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
My personal preferences will no doubt mean I don't follow up my current S4 with another, or an S5. I'm leased, so I might run an informal 3 month extension to take me to mid-Jan, but then the Audi S dream will be over. Onwards and upwards! Time to get the man maths calculator running for a shot at a C63 or Giulia Quad :)

My personal preferences will no doubt mean I don't follow up my current S4 with another, or an S5. I'm leased, so I might run an informal 3 month extension to take me to mid-Jan, but then the Audi S dream will be over. Onwards and upwards! Time to get the man maths calculator running for a shot at a C63 or Giulia Quad :)
How about keep the car you've got? Or do you not have that option?

Although...

0aed3d752229a646f90d8900f7425626.jpg

510bhp and AWD. Hmmm. Was sat in a 3 series the other day and they’ve upped the interior game enough to make it a more promising option in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if more don't go over to BMW, they seem to know how to treat, and respect, true petrol heads these days more than Audi...

Reactions: NevMan, Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
I wouldn't be surprised if more don't go over to BMW, they seem to know how to treat, and respect, true petrol heads these days more than Audi...

Kinda looking that way. Don’t know about the dealership experiences and whether they’re any better than the usual Audi interactions because all I have to go on is the motorcycle side of things. Which I’ll add has been very good for me so far at my local dealership.

Last time I was in a BMW dealership was when I was looking to replace my A3 saloon, they certainly bent over backwards to let me test drive different cars and gave me as much time as I needed, but then so did Audi.
Never going to set foot in a Mercedes one after my most recent experiences...

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
The current S's are hardly luke warm, but at this rate they are going to be stone cold - with no buyers!
I know, I couldn't find better wording to contrast it to an RS. My bad.

Although...

510bhp and AWD. Hmmm. Was sat in a 3 series the other day and they’ve upped the interior game enough to make it a more promising option in the future!

Damn! I hate the phrase but that actually could be a game changer in that segment.

Reactions: NevMan

Completely agree on that

Completely agree on that
The new 340 is 367bhp and you can spec an M Sport exhaust. Or you can get a diesel S4 that's gained 150kg. BMW must be laughing their socks off

Reactions: Terminator x, Thundercliffe81, Riko0073 and 2 others
Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Riko0073, NevMan and 1 other person
Although...

A bit off topic, but why do I keep looking at that Citroen?

I just think Audi's focus is elsewhere these days and are not really that concerned about the 'S' cars UK market...
There may be alight at the end of the tunnel. If Brexit happens, then I take it UK vehicles would not be subject to EU regulations?
Of course, may well be wrong. In which case. that light as actually a train incoming!!!

I agree with most comments on here, and to be honest I am tempted by the oil burning SQ5, but let’s see what the motoring journalist make of these engines when they actually get to drive them. Step backwards certainly going diesel, when many other manufacturers are abandoning, but some clever tech.

Just waiting to be shot down by:

a) SUV haters
b) diesel haters (don’t get me wrong, I am currently on the fence as had gen1 Q5 caught up in “dieselgate”
c) anyone else
Locked on ;-)..........trust the fence is not barbed wire?

Read the Autocar report - the comment about different tune is utter cr@p. All these diesels are 255kw.

These diesels are clearly all about EU regulations. So why no problem with Merc & BMW petrol engines?
If Merc can have their 3.0 6cyl mild-hybrid motor achieve 40% thermal efficiency, why can't Porsche do it for VAG?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
I take it UK vehicles would not be subject to EU regulations?
Of course, may well be wrong. In which case. that light as actually a train incoming!!!

Locked on ;-)..........trust the fence is not barbed wire?

Read the Autocar report - the comment about different tune is utter cr@p. All these diesels are 255kw.

These diesels are clearly all about EU regulations. So why no problem with Merc & BMW petrol engines?
If Merc can have their 3.0 6cyl mild-hybrid motor achieve 40% thermal efficiency, why can't Porsche do it for VAG?
Quite and https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-...0/range-rover-gets-new-mild-hybrid-powertrain the UK government has already stated it'll keep to EU legislation as well...

If Brexit happens
Were you smiling when you wrote that?

These diesels are clearly all about EU regulations. So why no problem with Merc & BMW petrol engines? If Merc can have their 3.0 6cyl mild-hybrid motor achieve 40% thermal efficiency, why can't Porsche do it for VAG?
I'm pretty sure its not a case of whether or not the TFSI could meet those regulations, it is more a case of the ones governing the total carbon output of all the cars they sell as a manufacturer. So by using a diesel for these S-cars they make a bit of reduction in that total.

Surely it's only if they sell any?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, jdp1962 and NevMan
Indeed. The people who made the decision may have only been looking at past sales figures without actually thinking that the change might affect the future ones...

Reactions: cuke2u, Thundercliffe81, jdp1962 and 1 other person
Got their heads buried in a place I can't mention...

Lol, Rather a darker colour involved I feel....

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Jcbmally and NevMan
An interesting development.
Unless you are a die-hard diesel hater I'd recommend giving it a try first.
I currently drive a fully optioned and 'mildly adjusted' petrol V6 S4 which is a beautiful car to drive and on a daily basis reminds me of what really comprises the marquee of a true European sporting sedan.
Two cars ago I owned a SQ5 TDi for three years and the engine in that was a sensational power plant; kahunas the size of King Kong's, mountains of low down torque (760Nm) and a delight to drive.
That was a far simpler engine than the electrical turbo/mild hybrid version now on offer to you guys in the northern hemisphere which makes me think that additional mass aside, there may be far fewer compromises required when changing to the diesel V6 than some may think.
It is a shame that the petrol V6 will not remain an option (or will it?).
Perhaps a tweaked V6 S4 had become too close a contender to the RS4, albeit there is no RS4 sedan any more and so making the S4 power plant a diesel clearly defines the S4 as a different package to the RS4.
Anyway - who knows? If considering an S4 don't write off the diesel option too readily, you may be quite surprised.

Reactions: syed123, paul wev, Thundercliffe81 and 2 others
Not forgetting that diesel engines are actually unsuited for some of us, thus we should have the option...

I switched from the B8.5 S4 to the B9 S4 and then to the B9 3.0 272 TDI and much prefer the diesel. I’ll be seriously looking at the new S4 when it arrives. My order of preference is:

B9 3.0 272 TDI > B8.5 S4 >> B9 S4

Reactions: syed123 and NevMan
I switched from the B8.5 S4 to the B9 S4 and then to the B9 3.0 272 TDI and much prefer the diesel. I’ll be seriously looking at the new S4 when it arrives. My order of preference is:

Interested to hear why the diesel and even the B8.5 over the B9 S4 from your experience?

I’ve no comparison on other A4’s as came from a S3 saloon and can’t find fault with the S4 and surpasses the S3 in nearly every way.

I won’t rule out the new S4 diesel until it’s here and test driven but at the moment I’m wanting to keep with a performance petrol.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Thundercliffe81 and NevMan

How do you find your stock 272 compared to an s4?

A year ago I was considering an s4 or rs4/5 but the rs was a bit too pricey.

The s would be in my budget though. Only reason I didn't upgrade was cause I thought there wouldn't be that much in it performance wise apart from the sound as my 272 is tuned.

I welcome the news of the s7,s6 going diesel but it would have been even crazier good if they used the sq7 engine.

S4 and s5 going diesel is odd but until it's not driven we won't know the reviews..

Nah!!!! methinks definitely something to do with lack of sunhine?
...Two cars ago I owned a SQ5 TDi for three years and the engine in that was a sensational power plant; kahunas the size of King Kong's, mountains of low down torque (760Nm) and a delight to drive.ed......
Well, Audi Aust. are seriously looking at this TDI as an option special with petrol in the 2019 SQ5, but no others (yet?).
Quite and https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-...0/range-rover-gets-new-mild-hybrid-powertrain the UK government has already stated it'll keep to EU legislation as well...
I see TATA of England are using a 3.0 straight 6, also with similar pathetic mild-hybrid to Audi's pathetic system.
Here is another manufacturer that, apparently, can meet EU regulations with a petrol engine.
Has the Govt. said if it will follow future EU regulations, as in 2020+?
Were you smiling when you wrote that?

I'm pretty sure its not a case of whether or not the TFSI could meet those regulations, it is more a case of the ones governing the total carbon output of all the cars they sell as a manufacturer. So by using a diesel for these S-cars they make a bit of reduction in that total.
You UKites dug your own grave back when...2016.
Just very appreciative our family emigrated many moons ago to the best country on earth and that is clearly confirmed by the extremely large number of UKites that emigrated here, didn't like it here ( They said "it's different out here" - we said "****** well hope so!!"), returned to "Old Dart', then returned back to Oz after realising the mistake of their lives.

These new "S" variant TDIs are costing Audi mega Euros. Of course we can only surmise, as Audi will not tell anybody.

For we fortunate people who can still buy S4 TFSI's, it appears quite clear the next S4 iteration which will have Audi's mild-hybrid, will require more power.
Adopt 50% of the S4 TDI weight increase = 75kg for the 48V/battery system and Merc are increasing power of their competitor models. Add the fact that the new S4 would then be slower than the current model.

Last edited: